Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which region for well-located Vancouver hotel on Hotwire?

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a decent Vancouver hotel for my family of 4 for a couple of nights -- want one convenient to sights, restaurants, shopping, etc. I understand that "Downtown" may be where I should look. On Hotwire, my "Downtown" choices are:
Downtown Vancouver West, Downtown Vancouver Entertainment District, Downtown Vancouver South. Which area would you recommend as the best for us?

Also, do you have any specific hotel recommendations?
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Downtown is pretty tiny. While not entirely sure how they make the differences, I would personally not choose the Entertainment District, which is just a strip of noisy nightclubs, pubs, lounges, cheap pizza parlors along Granville Street. Downtown Vancouver South I'd probably bypass as it might not be downtown at all, but across the bridge from downtown. I'd settle on Downtown Vancouver West simply because it's the more leisurely part of downtown Vancouver with Stanley Park, the seawall, the beaches, the restaurants/cafe-strewn sidewalks while still being close to other restaurants, shopping districts, etc.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM

I am not a fan of Hotwire and use Priceline with great success. If I were you I would go to Priceline and choose the bidding section. Choose the downtown Vancouver option and bit on 3 1/2 and 4 star hotels only. I looked at the hotels that they have that come in that category and they are all very good.(I am from Vancouver/Victoria and know the areas and the hotels) Priceline downtown means downtown and the Hotwire descriptions can be misleading as we found out before unfortunately - their hotels weren't exactly what they described. There are some very good deals to be had right now so start with four star and don't choose any other option. If you exhaust that (depending on what you are willing to pay) go to the 3 1/2 star. If you are planning to visit this winter/spring you will do very well so don't bid too high. Good Luck.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM

but with two children priceline is risking it, thus the use of hotwire which does allow for additional guests in the room.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM

There are 2 websites I use for help identifying Hotwire hotels and areas : www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com. You will get an idea of which hotels, read reviews, and be able to see what areas you want.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Have you considerd the Granville Is hotel?
Great place to explore, lots and lots of things to do; walk the whole ISland, farmers market is great and take water taxis to the main city.
They some suites: seperate bedroom area with a couch..might not wrk for 4 but on teh other hand..great location
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM

IF you are going to Vancouver during the middle of the tourist season, then maaaaaaaaaaaybe you can fear the results of a Priceline effort there.

However, given that it is 2009, the year of terrible economy and mostly dead tourism, I suspect that most spots you might land on Priceline in the way of a 3.5 or 4 star hotel in downtown Vancouver, would be able to bend a little in order to afford you room enough for your group.

Assuming the children are YOURS, and not somebody elses, perhaps you could double-up in one way or another in the event that you land only a pair of large beds.

I've used Priceline for Vancouver a number of times and have always come away with particularly impressive accommodations. (most recently the Sheraton Wall Centre, 24th floor, two large beds, plenty of room)

I would just attempt to land good "value" for your hotel dollar, and then bend to make it work for you.

The hotel locations alone might make it worth every bit of using this strategy.