Using Priceline for Vancouver hotel

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Karen

Using Priceline for Vancouver hotel

I've been reading about the deals people have been getting on Priceline for Hyatt Regency and so I read biddingfortravel.com and I looked around some on Priceline and I see that there is not an area that says "Downtown". If I were to pick the "Vancouver" option will that limit me to hotels that are strictly Downtown? Thanks in advance.

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Robyn

Simply choose "Vancouver". They seem to have highlighted all of downtown Vancouver, plus some of the surrounding areas on their map.

Jul 16th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Gerry

If you look at biddingfortravel.com, you'll see all of the hotels that people have gotten in the "Vancouver" zone have been downtown. That doesn't mean that a different hotel couldn't come up at any time, but I looked at the Priceline map, and there certainly are no 4 star hotels in the shaded area that are outside of downtown. The only hotel that Priceline might call a 3* outside of downtown, but in the zone, is the Holiday Inn on Broadway. I think that they would probably classify that as a 2 1/2 star though. You're definately safe with a 4* and likely a 3* in term of ensuring that you are downtown.

Jul 16th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Gerry

I just reread your post and see that the issue is that you don't necessarily want to be downtown. Still, all of what I wrote in my previous post is valid. If you use Priceline for a 3 or 4 star in the Vancouver zone, you'll likely end up being downtown.

Jul 16th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Karen

Gerry,
Thanks for the information - very helpful! I may not have phrased my question correctly, but I do want to stay downtown as you originally thought - I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't end up with a hotel somewhere else if I picked the vancouver zone. I know there is always that chance, but from what you say if I stick to 3* or $* chances are I'll be okay.

Jul 16th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Karen

Oops - $* should read 4*

Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:13 AM
Alfreda

I used Priceline for my November trip to Vancouver and the hotel I will be staying at is the Westin Grand which is a newer hotel.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:16 PM
tom

Karen, can you share with me what you have been able to do on priceline? I need three fours for four nights in late August, early Sept.

Thanks

Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:17 PM
tom

opps three rooms for four nights

Jul 24th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Karen

Tom - I decided not to try Priceline for this trip since my husband and I are going with my family (8 of us in all). If it was just my husband and I then I would have tried it but I didn't want to risk the uncertainty and be responsible for everyone's accomodations since my parents already have a hotel booked for us at a decent rate. Good luck to you - I would check biddingfortravel.com for recent wins.

Jul 24th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Susan

My husband and I tried Priceline once and got screwed out of $700 air fare. We are in a HUGE dispute now. I would recommend NEVER using them. They are extremely unpleasant, rude, shoddy and misleading.

Jul 29th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Daniel

Susan, you keep posting your rant on Priceline on every thread on the Fodor's board that mentions Priceline. Despite being asked, you have never given any details on your problem. I have used Priceline for hotels in Canada and the US on numerous occasions and have never had a problem.