Montreal Bistros

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal Bistros

We're headed to Montreal this weekend and are looking for bistros (smaller places with good food, relaxed atmosphere, decent wine list and friendly). French cuisine preferred but not essential. We're staying in Old Montreal and while that location might be preferred, it's not essential either. Many thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM

I recently came back from a few weeks in Montreal. My favourite dinner was at Resto Yoyo. It sounds Asian, but it's without a double a French bistro!

http://www.restoyoyo.com/

Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:06 AM

One restaurant that I really enjoyed in Montreal is Lemeac - http://www.restaurantlemeac.com/

You'd have to take a cab from Old Montreal, but the food is wonderful. I love their salmon tartare. They have a fixed price menu later in the evening - an excellent deal.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Lemeac is indeed an excellent suggestion. One of Montreal's best table hands down.

If you want a typical bistro atmosphere where it is busy, relaxed but nonetheless lively, I would suggest the classic l'Express on St-Denis.

In the Vieux Montreal, there's also l'Epicier (http://www.chezlepicier.com/) which is highly regarded...
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Two things to note: YoYo is a BYOB, prepare in advance if you want wine with your meal; L'Epicier is closed (as usual at this time of year) and re-opens on January 19th, so it looks as if you'll miss out.

Lemeac is a very good choice.

Also, in no particular order, Au Petit Extra, Laloux and Le Paris.

JQ
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 03:35 AM

Don't forget Chez Holder in Old Montreal, on McGill nr St-Jacques.
A bit noisy if you're not in a group but excellent food.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:37 AM

I saw your other post and since you're OK with BYOB, while it's a metro ride away, I'll throw in le Petit Plateau on rue Marie-Anne near Saint-Denis St (metro: Mont-Royal). There's an SAQ (to pick your wines) nearby on the corner of Duluth and Saint-Denis. A cozy, special occasion kind of place (main dishes are ~$30), very "Montreal", excellent food. Reserve if you go.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 10:02 PM

I would highly suggest going to the Jean-Talon market, it is has amazing produce and there are little vendors that surround it with phenomenal food.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Hi Daniel,

How does the ambience at Barraca compare with Le Petit Plateau? Are they near each other?

Thank you.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM

They're not that far apart; maybe 10 minutes walk?

The two are apples and oranges really. Barraca is on the trendy side, with outdoor courtyard in good weather, a specialty of rum and tapas... darkish inside. Folks in their 20s and 30s in vast majority.

Le Petit Plateau is cozy, with maybe 10 tables all told, folks of all ages. Very neighbourhoody, Montreal corner restaurant, yet classy... serving multi-course meals with options like game on the table.

Casa Tapas (close by also; 5 minute walk maybe from Le Petit Plateau) I'd pick over Barraca if one actually wants quality tapas as opposed to a trendy, loungey night spot.

Cheers, DAN
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the info. It's too easy to find good restaurants in Montreal. I want to dine at Le Petit Plateau. I'm planning my trip little by little. Will you contact me directly at [email protected].
Thank you.

Stephanie
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Check and see if Garde Manger is open. It is fun! Great food, full bar and an interesting crowd.

For fancier eats, I would recommend Lemeac(it's a cab ride from where you are staying)but worth it.

And, the recommendation for the Jean Talon market is a good one. Get a copy of Food & Wine(I think Feb and has a picture of butternut squash soup on the front). It has an article on Montreal and all the new places recommended. There is a new bistro either next to or actually witin Jean Talon that sounded great to me.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM

le petit plateau i a "bring your own wine" , remember to bring your bottle. It's a place that has been very consistent in quality over the years.

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM

We travel to Montreal often, and tend to end up around the Plateau area. Places we've been to recently and enjoyed:

Au Pied de Cochon (www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca)
Au Cinquième Péché (www.aucinquiemepeche.com)
Les Héritiers (www.lesheritiers.com)
Au Petit Extra

You might want to pop over to Chowhound and search their Quebec/Montreal board. Lots of recommendations there.