Search

Where to stay in southern Okanagan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in southern Okanagan

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to southern Okanagan in mid-April 08 and could use some advice on where to stay. Hubby does not like B&Bs and I don't really enjoy small motels so that limits us. Looks like Burrowing Owl and Spirit Lodge are really nice - does anyone have experience at these places? Any oher recommendations on places to stay? Also, would love to get a list of wineries that specialize in bold reds in this area. Thanks in advance!!!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 06:49 AM

While we haven't stayed at either of those two places, we have seen them from the outside. I'd say they were the nicest in the area, and the newest. If you like wines, those would be the place. Location wise, I'd probably pick Burrowing Owl. It puts you closest to some of our favorite wineries (we also like the reds).
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Ditto to sludick's comments. Burrowing Owl last summer reminded me of southern Tuscany. Really gorgeous, it's on my wish list. And their red are excellent.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM

I have stayed twice at Spirit ridge and visited Burrowing Owl. Spirit Ridge is a lot bigger the Burrowing Owl and closer to the town of Osoyoos for other dining options. Also all the rooms at Spirit Ridge have full kitchens and separate bedrooms. Both have upscale restaurants. I have eaten only at Spirit Ridge and it was OK - not spectacular.
Bold Reds - In a recent trip I found that some of the wineries were sold out of their bigger reds. Likely the latest vintage may be released by April. A few of the ones we liked were Desert Hills, close to Burrowing Owl, Golden Mile and also big corporate Jackson Triggs.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses! You're all gems! We'll be there several days so if you have any recommendations on other things to do (besides enjoying wines!), or have more favorite wineries or restaurants, we'd love to hear about them. Also, we're driving from Vancouver and we're estimating it to take about 4-5 hours....is this about right? Thanks again for your guidance! These forums certainly make trip planning easy!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM

We stayed at Spirit Ridge in September - very nice suite.

Resto had a lovely outside area
- food was fine - nothing stupendous.

Did a tasting at Burrowing Owl -
really lovely place - very Napa/Sonoma-esque. Dining room looked lovely; entree prices certainly Big City.

The trouble w/Osoyoos is a lack of
restos outside of the resort - you
really need to eat on site or do
your own cooking. JMHO, of course.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM

suztex, Burrowing Owl has a lovely restaurant. We've only had lunch there, but I would recommend it for that at least. It has a gorgeous view of the vines and lake, and you can perhaps sit on the veranda. As you go up the road in search of reds, there is a great Greek restaurant in Oliver, on the left hand side of the road as you head north. Can't remember the name right now, but perhaps somebody else does. llamalady is right about restaurants in Osoyoos. You might consider having a nice lunch at one of the wineries, and eat light for dinner.

Yes -- it takes around 4 hours to make that trip (depending on traffic leaving Vancouver, of course).
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM
dar

IMHO, there are good restaurants in Osoyoos. The locals eat at and recommend three popular restaurants: Campo Marina for excellent pasta and other European foods (nr. Best Western on main highway); the Diamond Steak and Seafood for Greek, Italian etc (Main Street); and for great value and an excellent view the Greenhouse Grill restaurant at the Osyooos Golf and Country club (up the hill on the south-east side). I also like the Ridge Brewing company pub, where they brew their own beer (you can get a taster of allthe brews). There are a couple of other pubs, but I find their food no better than fast food (greasy). Also you can dine at the Wildfire Grill (Main street) and Sol Grill (at the Holiday Inn)but I haven't personaly eaten at these two. Then there is the usual tourist far such as Smitties, Tim Hortons.
And, if you cross the border into the US, there is a great little Mexican place called Trino's 5 minutes past the border, cheap food and great Marg's.