Where to Stay in Montreal???

Aug 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Where to Stay in Montreal???

I am driving to Montreal with my mother and two children later this month. Would you recommend staying in Vieux Montreal or Downtown? We are active, love to eat and will want to take in the sights.

Is the city stroller friendly?

Thanks
Aug 10th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was wondering the downtown area or vieux montreal? Which area in general is a better hub?
Aug 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Vieux Montreal is pretty hard to get in and out of with public transportation. Yes, there are Metro stations, but you have to go a long way east or west to catch the Metro that serves the downtown area. Also, if you want to walk, it's quite a hike uphill to downtown (if that makes sense).

Stay downtown - much more convenient.

I'm not sure what you mean by stroller friendly. It's as stroller friendly as any North American city, with wide, pretty even sidewalks. Any part of the downtown area that you are likely to be in is safe, even at night.
Aug 12th, 2007, 07:48 AM

we just spent 10 days in Montreal/Quebec with our 1 yr old. We used a small compact travel stroller from Combi.

Some of the shops are very small and doorways not too wide. The older sections can be a bit bumpy so the stroller will take a LOT of abuse. The underground was NOT stroller friendly. Had to carry up the stroller several groups of steps every section or so. Helps to have 2 adults

Sometimes finding elevators was a lost cause and it was just easier to carry up the steps at the metro stations.

Sidewalks were pretty good but lots of ups and downs crossing the streets etc....we were there the end of May/fist of June. Stayed at the Hilton Bonaventure the first part and then after returning from Quebec we stayed at the Doubletree.

We used the Metro a good bit but you gotta be able to get off the trains QUICKLY and move that stroller fast! We tried to stay near the doors cause once the trains got full getting off in enough time was sketchy!

You won't find a lot of family friendly bathrooms if you are still in the diaper phase. I used disposable bed pads to lay on the floor--since Koala Care stations were rare. They are much bigger than the baby changing pads.

Also a lot of places did NOT have high chairs.

I don't know how people in wheelchairs get around the underground... A few sections had ramps or escalators but more stairs. We had a lot of rain so it would have been nice to stay dry from our hotel up the shopping/restaurant streets but it was quicker to just walk on the sidewalk outside than carry the stroller up the stairs!
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Hi iconne,

I live in MTL and I think that staying downtown would be easier considering you have a stroller. There is a lot of cobblestone in Old MTL which can be difficult. Either way you can reach Old MTL from downtown rather easily and if you are worried about the metro, which often does have a lot of stairs you can always grab a cab.

Enjoy!!

Layla