Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nelson/Kootenay Lake worth a spot in a Rockies itinerary?

Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Does this area rate a day in an 7 day Canadian Rockies trip? We will have spent the previous 6 days hiking in Yoho, Banff and Jasper, and historic towns sound like a nice change (I love historic buildings/architecture), but I don't want to shortchange the Rockies if Nelson and the surrounding area isn't really as interesting or scenic as the websites brag.

We will be driving from the Rockies back to Seattle (this isn't included in the 7 days), so Nelson is kind of on the way anyway.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM

If you can, stay a night at the Hume Hotel in Nelson. Since you like historic building/architecture, this would be right up your alley. Inside has all been restored -- check out the "library" for a drink or dinner. Bob Hope is said to have stayed there once and commented how much he enjoyed it because it was older than he was..

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.humehotel.com/History/history.html
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM

Hit "Enter" a bit too soon. If you are familiar with the Steve Martin take-off of Cyrano de Bergerac, Roxanne, pick up a brochure at the information center -- there is a walking tour to see the various sites it was filmed. One of our favorite movies, very funny.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:11 PM

If you're going to the Nelson area, I would suggest a stop at the Ainsworth Hot Springs 50km north of Nelson. There's 3 pools, the main lounging pool, the hotter cave pool (a horseshoe shaped cave which acts as a sauna as well) and a cold pool. It's a wonderful experience, especially after a hiking trip and yes, I'm speaking from experience.
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! The hot springs sound great-I'd read about those as well, so it's good to hear a firsthand opinion.
Aug 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM

We enjoyed that area. I liked the ferry ride across Kootenay Lake between Balfour and Kootenay Bay, found the village limits sign for Gray Creek (I think) to be humorous (Metric Free), enjoyed touring the historic mining area of New Denver, Sandon and Kaslo, and loved Ainsworth Hot Springs. Hope that gives you some ideas. If you drive down from Golden, BC or Lake Louise through Kootenay National Park, you might enjoy a tour of the Columbia Brewing Company at Creston too. You could also make a stop at either Kimberly or Ft. Steele along that route too.
Aug 7th, 2007, 07:46 AM

I think you will be very pleased with a stay in Nelson. The valley is very picturesque, with its mountain and lake views and the City itself is built on the uphill, which gives it a very special feel. I definitely concur with staying at the Hume Hotel - beautifully renovated hotel, and the "library" is probably one of the coolest rooms to have a drink in (especially at night). Nelson is also a very artsy type of City, so if you like a bit of shopping you won't be disappointed. As others have posted, a side trip to Kaslo and New Denver is very scenic. Have a great trip.
Aug 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. For those that recommended the Hume, have you stayed there? I see it's the "center of Nelson's nightlife" which makes me a bit hesitant to book a room there (unless I know it has great soundproofing).
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Yes, we have stayed there. The hotel will warn you that Friday and Saturday nights may be a bit noisy; however, we were not disturbed. Certainly, we have stayed at other hotels with varying degrees of boisterous noise, and yet this is the only time the hotel seemed concerned about it. It wasn't as if we were in the middle of a party, it was pretty low key. This was in September.

We loved it so much that we are returning this September and bringing another couple -- we'll be staying over a Friday night.