Where can you get Pork Pies in B.C.?

Dec 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Where can you get Pork Pies in B.C.?

I just got back from a trip to Victoria, where one of my prime goals was to score some Pork Pies. Many years ago, I had an English wife, and though I was eventually cured of that affliction, I am stuck with a yearning for crusty those crusty delights.

I walked all over Victoria, but only found "Meat Pies" for sale; yucky things made of beef. While waiting for the ferry back to Anacortes, I even trudged the streets in Sidney in the rain, only to be told the same thing. Every bakery and deli told me they knew of no place that still made them.

Does anyone know of a place, either in B.C. or Washington, that I can get a fix for my addiction?

Thanks,

Dec 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM

In Steveston village in Richmond, there's a store called British Home. They make a wide variety of English style meat pies, including pork pies (Melton Mobray, I believe).

I just had the a delicious holiday tourtiere (Quebecois pork pie) which I purchased from Choices Market - a BC grocery chain. It was made of minced pork and was fantastic.

If that fails, you can buy a frozen President's Choice tourtiere in the Canada-wide grocery store chain, the Great Canadian Superstore. There are locations in Richmond, Vancouver, and elsewhere.

In downtown Vancouver, the Bay department store has a deli downstairs that sells several varieties of pork pies (Melton Mowbray, Cornish pasties, etc).

Good luck!
Dec 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM

On second thought, the President's Choice tourtiere is made with a mixture of pork and veal I believe. There are many varities of tourtiere, but the one at Choices was definitely 100% minced pork.
Dec 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am more than willing to try all varieties of pork pie. The Melton Mobray kind rates high on my pork pie appreciation scale. Remember them from England.

I have been having withdrawal symptoms; not having scored any in Victoria, as well as suffering from an acute cholesterol deficiency.

Anyone know a source in Washington State?

Dec 14th, 2008, 02:06 PM

If you are ever back in Victoria there is a butcher shop in Brentwood Bay - Ronald Orr and son. They are Scottish and the "son" has taken over the business. The daughter makes every kind of meat pie imaginable and they are just excellent and they are the real mccoy. If you do go back you can call them and order in advance. Perhaps they can ship some to you - don't know what the rules are regarding the import laws at the border. You could always give them a call (250) 652-3751. They also rated as "best on the Island" article for homemade sausages. I'm getting hungry just thinking about them!!
Dec 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM

I second traveller69's recommendation of Orr's butcher shop in Brentwood Bay as their meats, savory pies, etc are the best. They have a VERY loyal clientele who don't mind paying a little more for the quality.

I was reading the Vancouver newspaper last evening and came accross and ad for "The British Butcher Shoppe". don't know anything about them, but they have 2 locations in the Vancouver area:
1) North Vancouver -703 Queensbury Ave, 604-985-2444
2)Coquitlam - 2565 Barnet Hwy,
604-942-9996. They advertise having Melton Mobray Pork Pies as well as lots of UK sweets and groceries.
Hope this helps.
Dec 16th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

It helps! Thank you! My wife will not thank you when my arteries clog, but you have MY gratitude!

Feb 1st, 2013, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, FamousBrit, for your advice on the meat pies at the Celtic Treasure Chest in Dunbar.

Unfortunately, they do not make pork pies. Certainly not the kind I crave, according to their web site. Plenty of meat pies, but none of the real crusty pork pies that are my weakness. A friend is able to get them in Sidney, B.C., and he brings me some as he comes through Anacortes. Not often enough to totally stop my heart, as I am still alive after I posted this five years ago.

I'm still searching for a source.
Feb 1st, 2013, 07:36 PM

I know what you mean by real pork pies - nothing like a tourtiere. Have you seen this website http://www.jollygrub.com/British-por...Fc6DQgodVRoAFw I don't know where they are located but if your craving gets bad enough you might give them a try!!! By the way the butcher shop I recommended after your first post has closed - much to my chagrin.
Feb 2nd, 2013, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

They are in New Hampshire, Traveller69. They look good, but the shipping costs really bring the price way up. Thank you for the info, as they are exactly the things to which I am addicted.

BTW, the place my friend buys the pork pies in Sidney, B.C. is called Lunns Bakery at 2455 Beacon Avenue. I could take the ferry over from Anacortes and gorge myself at the bakery, but the U.S. has these strict rules about import of meat products not in tins, so I dare not bring back a load for my freezer.

Sigh ------
Feb 3rd, 2013, 12:28 AM

wELL we must feed that addiction. We cross the border with pork sausages - can't get good english bangers in Arizona where we spend our winters. They usually just ask about beef but lately that has been ok.
Why don't you check with customs and then have a day in Sidney and load up with contraband!!!!!
Feb 25th, 2013, 04:50 AM

Check out the Celtic Treasure Chest
Vancouver, Delta & White Rock
www.celtictreasurechest.com
Meat Pies in all flavours
Aussie Pies, Steak & Guinness, Steak & Kidney, Steak & Mushroom Chicken & Veg. etc.
Pork Pies, Melton Mowbrays, Scotch Pies, Bridies
Give them a try.