Trip Victoria or Vancouver ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I (early 30's) are planning. We only have 3 to 4 nights in late October. Our ideal trip is relaxation, shopping (cute boutiques not chain stores), good food and nice scenery. I'll be 6 mos pregnant, so ok with walking, but not interested in lots of outdoors adventure stuff. Would you recommend Vancouver or Victoria? We're not interested in trying to scram in alot of things, so prefer no to do both. Victoria looks quite lovely, but is there enough to do? Thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 03:02 PM

Well now...I've lived in Vancouver for eighteen years and love to go over to Victoria about once a year for a change of pace. So my own choice would be Victoria. It's small enough that you can see most things on foot, there are some lovely shops (though you could probably work your way through all of them in one day) and great restaurants.

As for scenery, Vancouver probably has more to offer, as well as a greater variety of shops. I guess it depends on whether you want a "bright lights, big city" sort of holiday (in which case, choose Vancouver) or a more relaxed and slower-paced holiday (in which case choose Victoria).

If you're into nightlife (I'm not) then I suspect Vancouver has more to offer.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Vorkuta.

Well, a little nightlife would be ok if I could drink, but since thats out.... and I think we're definently looking for slow paced it seems Victoria would be our best bet. Thanks so much for your advice. Now I just have to figure out the best way to get there.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
BAK

Le4t's make a list. I've never been six months pregnant, but what the heck.

And other people can add to each list.

Victoria: Stores -- some crafty-type places, several commercial art galleries, lots of hoigh end souvbenir shops with indian art, including carvings and paintings/prints, and a few small-volume, designer-owned, clothing boutiques.

And Rogers Chocolates, one of the best candy stores in the world. May even have chocolate cigars to use4 three months after the trip to celebrate the new-kid, without polluting the air.

Vancouver stores -- three times as many? Four or five times as many? Robson Street, and Gastown, and perhaps yaletown (It's newly developed since my last visit) plus Granville island shops.

Victoria museums -- The provincial museum is a great place, well worth a few hours visit.

Vancouver Museums -- Giant, high quality art gallery right downtown, but after that, I'm no expert. But there are many more commercial art galleries in Vancouver.

Victoria Walking -- Start downtown in front of the Emptress, and then walk along the edge of the harbor, past the government buildings, out past somehotels. Watch planes land in the harbor, and take a harbor tour.

How hard is it to get to the oceanside? I know my daughter played on the sand in Oak Bay 25 years ago, but we had a car to get there.

Vancouver walking -- around granville Island, around Stanley Park, down to the Seabus terminal and then ride across to North Vancouver and walk around there, too. (More boutiques, too)

Robson Street, and around the art gallery, and Yaletown, and Gastown, and Chinatown.

Restaurants, Victoria -- certainly enough good ones to take car of four nights.

Vancouver restaurants -- lots there, too, plus you can go to Granville Island market for a great lunch.

Victoria gardens -- Butchert is a wonderful place to spend half a day.

Vancouver -- There's excellent public gardens, plus Stanley Park, and you might even count Capolano Canyon and Grouse Mountain as sort-of gardens, easy enough to get to by tours or taxi.

In my view, Victoria is a great two-day city unless you are visiting with friends. Vancouver is a good one week city.

BAK

Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:51 AM

We're going up to Victoria again for our anniversary, but it's going to be another one of our hang out vacations, with most of the time spent out of the city. Personally, if I were with a girlfriend and wanted to shop and eat and do girly things I'd choose Vancouver. Many more things to do, many more shops and shopping neighborhoods.