What to do in January in Toronto

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in January in Toronto

My wife and I from are from Brasil. I lived in TO in the 70's.We'll be visiting the first week in the year, staying downtown. We'll rent a car.
We'd like to see a show, some music, eat roast beef,DIM SUM anything interesting.
We'd really appreciate your comments and suggestions please.
Alex
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Be sure to see the Body Works exhibit on at the Ontario Science Centre. It involves more than 200 platicised human
bodies and is quite amazing.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Blue Man Group is a great show - http://www.blueman.com/ticketinfo/toronto/.
If you are into jazz, there are lots of clubs to check out - Montreal Bistro, The Rex, The Red Guitar to name a few.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 09:52 AM
BAK

If I wanted roast beef today, I'd go to Le Bifteque in the Sheraton Centre Hotel, on Queen Street West across from Toronto City Hall.

Roast beef is not as popular as it used to be. You probably remember Old Ed's and Ed's Warehouse, owned by Sir Honest Ed Mirvish.

Ed's frtiend Yale Simpson managed the restaurants, and as tasts changed, business declined. When Yale died, Ed closed his restaurants.

Dim Sum dpends, I guess, on personality of the seller and the eater. I've taken a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, a man who is a world traveller (called me resterday to report on Reindeer meat he just enjoyed in Norway) for Dim Sum at the Bright Pearl Restaurant on Spadina Avenue, on the west side, a couple of blocks north of Dundas. Lion statues in front, door around the side. We've been twice and he, my wife, and my pre-teen son all thought it was great, as did I.

BAK
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the dim sum and blue man suggestions..i believe my wife will enjoy them even if my love of chicken feet will still put her off.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Bright Pearl is good for dim sum, but if you want something really special (and expensive!) try Lai Wah Heen in the Metropolitan Hotel. It is unbelievable.