Desserts in Montreal, Toronto, etc.

Jul 24th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Desserts in Montreal, Toronto, etc.

Sometimes, instead of having dessert in the restaurant where we have dinner, we prefer to go someplace else for dessert. Are there good places for gelato or other desserts in Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa and/or Toronto?
Jul 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Haven't been to Toronto in a while, but there used to be a chain of little shoppes called Just Desserts. One on Yonge St between College and Bloor, another on Yonge just north of Sheppard and one on Richmond or Queen west of University.
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:35 AM
hdm

I'm not sure if the Just Desserts chain still exists. You don't say where you're staying in Toronto, but there's a great gelato place called Hollywood Gelato on Bayview Avenue, south of Eglinton. It's a very nice neighbourhood but not really where visitors to the city are likely to stay.

However, the College Street area (between about Palmerston and Grace)is a great place to have dinner and take a walk. It's jam-packed with restaurants and bars and lots of street life. After dinner, walk over to the Sicilian Sidewalk Cafe (formerly called the Sicilian Ice Cream Parlour). We were just there for gelato but I was lusting after the fabulous looking crepes and waffles!
Jul 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM
BAK

Toronto.... have not seen a Just Desserts for many, many months.

In the entertainment district, try Kit Kat on King Street West for creme brulee.

In Yorkville, go to the Studio Cafe at the Four Seasons. (Bad news -- Movenpick used to be there, with great desserts, but is gone now)

BAK
Jul 25th, 2005, 11:11 AM

In Ottawa, for desserts, try Oh So Good and Memories, both in the Market. In Little Italy, Trattoria Caffé Italia is good for desserts and gelato.

The best place for gelato is Piccolo Grande in the Market and New Edinburgh. http://www.piccologrande.com/home.html
Jul 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM

We had some friends over last weekend who were raving about a new gelato/cafe called Solferino. Downtown Toronto on Wellington E. near Church.
Jul 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM

Head to Bayview Avenue in Leaside which is three blocks south of Bayview and Eglington.

On TTC, take the Bayview bus from Davisville station.

Rahier at 1586 Bayview Avenue is North America's finest patisserie in my humblest of opionion.

Try La Cigone's 1626 Bayview Avenue has the best quiche. Good french pasteries.

Hollywood Gelato at 1640 Bayview Avenue is a daily haunt.

For Montrealers, there is the Bagel House at 1548 Bayview Ave for authentic wood fired bagels with smoke meat...

In the Yorkville area, visit Whole Foods Market in the Hazelton Lanes Mall at 87 Avenue Road for lunch or take away. They have a pastry shop upstairs and the grocery store is down stairs. Check out Pusateris at 57 Yorkville.

Jul 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM

In Toronto, I would go to the BCE Place and have dessert at Marche. They have crepes, cakes, tarts, ice cream, etc.

Also try Futures on Bloor St. They have such a large selection of cakes that it takes me forever to choose just one each time I'm there.

For really great crepes, try Crepes-A-Go-G0 at... hmm... it's one street east of Bloor & St. George and there is another crepe place called Cafe Crepe on Queen St. W. across the street from the Chum City Building.
Jul 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM
PLJ

When in the Queen W. and Spadina area of Toronto I try to time my errands so that I can stop in at Le Gourmand Grocer Cafe (152 Spadina Ave, west side, just south of Queen) for a treat. In the summer, I look forward to their gelato. I also love their icing sugar-coated, chewy, chocolate cookies (I think they may be called "Nookie Cookies".) Yum!
Jul 27th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great suggestions for places for desserts. We may have to skip a few dinners.
Jul 28th, 2005, 04:33 AM

I would love to find a place in Montreal that specializes in dessert souffles. Grand Marnier souffles send me to the moon every time!

Any suggestions?
Jul 28th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Try posting your question at:

http://www.chowhound.com/canada/boar...o/toronto.html
Jul 28th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Grand Marnier soufflé sounds delicious, but but I've never heard of it here. HOWEVER, if you head on down to Boris Bistro (McGill street, south of Notre-Dame, western edge of Old Montreal), you can have a delicious meal (it's French food, so portions will be smaller than you're used to), and order their Crème brûlée... absolutely devine, and the restaurant's not to shabby, either.

Desserts are delicious in any half-decent café in Montréal (which happens to have only, oh 5 or 6 Starbuck's). Kilo (Ste-Catherine in the gay village or St-Laurent & Fairmount) is famous for cakes. There are a few delicious gelato places in Old Montréal.

If you want to take your desserts back to the hotel with you (or to a park, where you can also legally drink delicious dessert wine if you're eating), try one of the many pâtisseries around town. My favourites are Première Moisson (in the train station or Atwater or Jean-Talon markets), Pain Doré (try their crème brûlée as well -- you can keep the little dish as a souvenir although of course you shouldn't, at Peel & Ste-Catherine, St-Laurent & Prince-Arther, or Ste-Catherine &St-Hubert), and St-Louis-de-France (beside the Holiday Inn at the Sherbrooke métro station), which also happens to be by one of the most beautiful urban parks -- Square St-Louis.
Jul 31st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

How about Quebec City?