Thank you Toronto!

Search

Thank you Toronto!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Toronto!

Just back from a lovely weekend in Toronto. We went with another couple and had a fantastic time!

Stayed at the Sheraton Centre for $65/night (thanks Priceline!) It was a nice hotel, that's for sure, but I'm not sure the rooms were quite 4*. But, man oh man, those beds are to die for!! Esp. after walking all over Toronto all day.

Friday October 7th, we arrived in Toronto around 5:00. Not the best planning in retrospect as we arrived during the peak of rush hour. Not fun. Made it to the hotel by about 6:00, checked in w/out problem, cleaned up a bit & headed out for dinner. We wandered a bit and decided on the Elephant & Castle on King St. Took forever to get a server, but once we did everything was good. My husband loved the cider salmon. After dinner we wandered to the entertainment district and hit a few bars there (Fox & Fiddle, Gabby's, etc). We turned in about 1am....in need of a good rest!

Saturday October 8th, woke up to a gloomy sky (carry over from the night before) and headed off to the Hockey Hall of Fame. We meandered our way through the HoF & looked for every bit of Red Wing memorabelia we could find. Took pictures of all of the cup winning teams that were engraved on the cup & then of course bought some trinkets in the store. We also managed to unload our extra Leafs/Habs tickets while at the HoF to a very excited man who was thrilled to take his son! After the HoF we headed out in search of lunch. Now, being the most decision challenged group ever inexistence we ended up back at Gabby's due to the fact that we wandered looking at menus until myself (4 months pregnant) and my friend (5 months pregnant) needed food, any food, immediately!!! I would not, not, not recommend Gabby's at all!! My burger was terrible as was everyone else's food. Not to mention that the service was terrible and it was not busy at all! Not a great selection on our part at all. After lunch, we headed off to the CN tower. Byt this time, it had cleared up & was beautiful out. Tower was neat. Glad I saw it, but will not do it again. After tower we headed back to the hotel to clean up & get ready for hockey game that evening!

Leafs/Habs was a great experience! We are all Wings fans, but the Maple Leafs would be my #2 team if I had to pick. We all donned our Leafs finery & headed out for the game. We had seats in the "Adrenaline" section, which was like a mini bar area behind the north goal. Our seats were actually bar stools right along the edge overlooking the ice. Really cool! Unfortunately the Leafs did not win, but it was a great game!

After the game, we wandered around Air Canada for a bit before deciding we wanted more of a restaurant than a "bar" so we headed to Alice Fazooli's. This was a great place! We all ordered off the appetizer menu & everything was delicious. Also had the best sevice of anyplace we'd been. I highly recommend this place & wish we had went there Friday for dinner instead.

After dinner myself & my other female friend had enough & decided to cab it back to the hotel for some sleep in that wonderful comfy bed!

Sunday October 9th, woke up & packed the suitcases. Took them to the car (we parked in the municipal lot across from Sheraton) and then went for breakfast. We went to Sunset Grill on Yonge, right around the corner. This place was yummy, yummy, yummy! Had a great breakfast & then wandered up Yonge to window shop. We were lucky that the shops were closed or we would have gone crazy shopping! After window shopping we piled in the car an headed back to Michigan!

We had a great time, thanks to everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I know we barely scratched the surface of what Toronto has to offer, we'll just save it for our next visit!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM
hdm

Thanks for reporting back and I'm so glad you had a nice time! Come back soon for a longer visit!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:40 PM

hmmm...there may be strange forces at work which will see your child forsake the Red Wings and become a Habs fan...

There is a great short story by Roch Carrier about a boy who lived in rural Quebec who received a Leaf's sweater his mother ordered from Eaton's - while everyone else had a Hab's sweater and dreamed of becoming Maurice Richard.

It's available in book form at http://www.tundrabooks.com/catalog/d...=9780887761744 and on audio at CBC http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1546...f_hockey/clip1
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 04:26 AM
BAK

Breakfast Television, a local Toronto show, just had a Sheraton bed-making competition on the show. Six sheets....

I thought of the happy traveller when I saw this feature on TV.

BAK
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 08:27 AM

I'm glad you had a good time, but please, come back for another visit and try eating in a real Toronto restaurant, instead of a plastic pub or bar like E&C or Alize Fazoolis. One of the best things about Toronto is its restaurants (especially the diversity), and you seem to have missed out.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Wow. Ouch. Here I thought I had a pretty good time. No, we didn't hit the epicenter of Toronto dining, but sometimes circumstances prevent taking a culinary tour....ie, folks you are with, and where the trip itself takes you.

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:36 PM

I wouldn't have made the comment, but for the fact that your report included some criticisms of some of the places where you ate. And, before your trip, you had asked for some recommendations for restaurants along the path of your itinerary. But, I also understand how sometimes other demands get in the way of good planning. While I've never been pregnant, I certainly can relate to the feeling of "Stop making me browse the menus of every restaurant in the neighbourhood before choosing the best option - or I'll gnaw your arm off before sitting down on the pavement".

Glad you enjoyed Toronto - I hope you visit again.