What to do and see in Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has business meetings in Vancouver starting Nov. 15th and I will tag along. What should we not miss seeing in Vancouver and what would you suggest for me during the days? I love art galleries, walking and exploring the city, museums and a bit of shopping. We're staying at the Fairmont, will have a car and will fly back home from Seattle on the 21st but don't want to miss anything in or near Vancouver since we don't know if we'll get back there. Also, restaurant suggestions please!
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Things to do -Walk around Stanley park on the seawall, Granville Island public market, Anthropology Museum at University of B.C., Take the Gondola to the top of Grouse Mountain, Visit Whistler, Take the ferry from horseshoe Bay to Gibsons/Langdale and see the Sunshine Coast, The Circle Craft Fair takes place at the Trade and Convention Centre(across the street from your hotel)in mid Nov. As far as restaurants - I'd Recommend Bis Moreno (Italian),Le Crocadile (French), C (seafood), Vij's (Indian)-Too many good restaraunts to list.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks leuk for the suggestions. How far is Whistler from Vancouver? Where would be a good place to stay so we could stroll through the town and enjoy the ambiance. Any suggestions for restaurants in Whistler?

Thanks in advance and keep those suggestions coming.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Whistler is about an hour and a half away from Downtown Vancouver. I havent been there in a few years so no restaurant suggestions! I stayed at the Fairmont in WHistler, which was really nice. I would reccomend taking the time to go explore the islands over a day in Whistler! you could go to Gabriola/Galiano island for a night- very calm and relaxing!
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM

leuk offer very good suggestions.
Circle Craft will be done by the 15th, I think.
I too recommend the Museum of Anthropology out at the University of BC, since you have a car to get there, and Granville Island.
You can shop on Robson street, which is mostly chains like Gap, Club Monaco, etc., or Pacific Centre, the big mall downtown... or try a stroll through Yaletown which has smaller, trendy shops.
The main town part of Whistler is quite pedestrianized so it is easy to explore.
Please do a search on this forum - you will get lots of suggestions.
And be prepared for wet weather!
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 04:28 PM

We just got back from Vanocuver yesterday. My husband was at a convention at the Westin Bayshore so mostly I was on my own for sightseeing.

I walked to the False Crek Ferry and took the water taxi over to Granville Island, loved it. I also walked all over Robson, Denman, Davie streets, Gastown, Yaletown, Chinatown, plus the Stanley Park seawall plus several interior trails at Stanley Park.

I drove to Grouse Mtn and took the tram to the top, snow on the ground up there!
I also drove to Queen Elizabeth Park and then to UBC to see the Anthropology Museum.

Wonderful city. We didnt have a drop of rain until we left at 5AM Saturday morn.

We stayed on Pendrell Ave in a gorgeous huge (1500 sq foot) apartment (Pendrell SUites) that was home to Agent Scully on the X-Files. Everything was within walking distance, just a lovely neighborhood.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Well, vivi, you left at just the right time to avoid rain! Yesterday it absolutely POURED all day and night - it slowed down around 3 am today. Most of the streets in my neighbourhood were flooded. Today was cloudy with the odd bit of drizzle... I warned the OP to prepare for wet weather because our winters are soggy and we don't normally have dry spells for longer than a couple of days.
Glad you had a good time here!
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 08:16 PM

Taggie--YES! We timed it prefectly as we arived early Tues AM (the 4th) right after Monday night's rain and then departed early on Saturday the 6th!
I could tell Vancouver gets lots of rain because it looked so green and fresh compared to Calif!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'm looking forward to the trip. We also want to stop for a tour of the Boeing facility in Everett so time is of the essence.

I appreciate all the suggestions. Any more?
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Re Art

Do not miss the collection of works by Emily Carr at the Vancouver Art Gallery.

http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/home.cfm

Emily Carr was a contemporary of the Group of Seven (should have been the group of eight) and devoted her life to painting BC's rainforests and it's inhabitants. Carr, the Group of Seven and Cornelius Krieghoff are Canada's most cherished artists. You will have to come to Toronto some time to see the Group of Seven and Krieghoff.

I am a big fan of Haida art. The Museum of Anthropology at UBC and the jade boat sculpture at the Vancouver airport by Bill Reid are a good introduction.

If you are a fan of Art Deco architecture, check out the Marine Building at 355 Burrard. It is the finest Art Deco building in Canada.

See http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=113268
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:27 PM

I just drove to Whistler 8 days ago, only for a day trip, and indeed the fun little ski area was quite attractive. It might be more sensible to go because of the upcoming Olympic events that will happen there in 2010.

There was too much construction on the "Sea to Sky" highway for my taste, and clearly the weather could be terribly snowy depending on the flip of a coin.

I think you should allow at least 2 hours for that trip, but it is about 70 miles or so.

SOME of the roadside scenery on the drive can be stunning, but it is entirely more likely that you'll be met with dreary grey/rainy skies and fog that will render it hard to see.

Vancouver has enough shopping so that you'll be set rain or shine and there are few cities on the continent where as many "decent" people are found roaming the streets just about any time of the night.

Central Vancouver is packed close enough together so that you could arrive there with an open itinerary for your daytime exploration and be quite content with what you had at your fingertips.

A pizza/pasta CHAIN restaurant they have in Canada that is excellent is "Boston Pizza", so go there for an evening meal.

Open extremely late, addy is 1333 Broadway, I seem to recall, but verify at bostonpizza.com (they also have'em on the way up to Whistler)

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again all! I leave Sunday so I'm pulling together an itinerary. If the weather is bad we'll forgo Whistler as driving in the rain and fog is no fun. We'll see when we get there. Thanks again!