West Coast Vancouver Island vs. Rockies?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Rosemary

West Coast Vancouver Island vs. Rockies?

We're having a hard time deciding between a return trip to the Canadian Rockies vs. a first-time trip to the West Coast of Vancouver Island. We've been to Victoria & Vancouver & the Sunshine Coast in the past.
Absolutely love the San Juan Islands & Gulf Islands!

We only have about a week to 10 days to allocate to a trip in early Sept. & are having a hard time deciding where to go this time. We absolutely loved our trip to the Rockies in '95. There is still plenty for us to do & see which we didn't get to last time. However, as I map out our days, seems kind of tight on time - like it would be better if we had 2 full weeks.

The more unusual areas of Vancouver Island, however, I feel we could cover in a week to 10 days quite well. Opinions out there as to which you would choose? Preferences?

Not ever having been to Tofino or those areas, not sure how it compares. Also, we do live in Calif. so we can get to the ocean pretty readily, albeit it looks completely different here (the Coastline) than it does in the Northwest. If we had more vacation, we'd just do both! However, we can only make the one choice for now. We like to visit the San Juans in May, usually, & I'm thinking maybe we should just add Vancouver Island to our next trip there.

Would love to hear your favorite: between the Rockies & Pacific Rim Nat'l Park (or even north Vancouver Island). We need to get this trip planned soon! I realize too that the time of year our trip is planned for, may also make a difference? Thanks so much...