Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wedgewood Hotel and restaurant recommendations

Jul 16th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

I am organizing a trip for 10 in Vancouver. We are planning on staying at the Wedgewood Hotel and are looking for any comments about the hotel as well as restaurant recommendations to celebrate our 25th anniversary.
Thanks.
Jul 16th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Check tripadvisor.com for reviews.
Here is the link - copy/paste into your browser:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Columbia.html

The Wedgewood is a lovely, lovely hotel - just ask Conde Nast. Its restaurant, Bacchus, would be a nice place for your dinner.
This Fodor's site has a v. good restaurant section - just do a search for Vancouver and you'll get lots of other ideas.
Jul 17th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that suggestion...has anyone stayed at the Wedgewood and/or does anyone have a favorite restaurant that they think would fit the bill for a special anniversary?
Jul 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Amy

The Wedgewood is absolutely lovely...my favorite hotel ever! I wanted to move in.

Bacchus, right at the hotel, has wonderful food and a lovely atmosphere; my favorite restaurant of the trip, but another recommendation may be the one on Grouse Mountain for something a bit different. (Sorry, I forgot the name!)

Have a lovely time!
Jul 17th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Amy

The restaurant's name is the Observatory--views of Vancouver from the mountain, of course. I didn't eat there, but the adjoining Altitudes Bistro had quite good food.

If you'd like to see a few pix of Grouse Mountain (in December!) and Vancouver go to
http://community.webshots.com/user/missalg
Jul 19th, 2004, 11:43 AM

In a town full of great restaurants, I
can't think of a nicer one in which to
celebrate a major life event. Bacchus
is a lovely place! However, if you
want another elegant place nearby you
could go to an Umberto restaurant like
Il Giardino - providing you like Italian, of course! The private room
at the Beach Side Cafe in West Vancouver
is nice; also, Provence Marinaside.
O my gosh, you could go one forever -
Bishops, Lumiere, West, C's..........
Jul 19th, 2004, 03:50 PM

As I've frequently posted on this site in the past: the Wedgewood is an absolutely wonderful hotel - my favourite of all the hotels I've ever stayed in. You'll love it.
In terms of restaurants: we love Raincity Grill. We were there last week with a friend who is a restaurant critic; we've gone there with him frequently. He suggested that next time we're in Vancouver we could go to C's, which is owned by the same people and specializes in seafood.
Have a great trip!
Jul 19th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all...any more thoughts?
Jul 19th, 2004, 06:54 PM

Mari, take a peek at Vancouver Magazine's restaurant section for ideas - www.vanmag.com/bites.html. Once you've decided on a restaurant type, it'll help you narrow your choice.

Cheers,
L
Jul 20th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi L and thanks...I looked at the site and it's overwhelming! Too much to choose from. For the last night, I've decided to take everyone's advice and go to Bacchus. For our 1st night in Vancouver, I'm looking for a restaurant that serves regional, seasonal specialties. How about Bishop of Cin Cin if we do Italian? Any other thoughts?
Mari
Jul 20th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Bishop's has wonderful food and is a popular choice for Vancouverites. No view, though, so I'd suggest "C" at 1600 Howe Street, False Creek North, or RainCity Grill on English Bay. Both have wonderful food and great water views.

I've been to Cin Cin a couple of times and the food is fine, not great (good celebrity gazing, though). For Italian I'd suggest Piccolo Mondo on Thurlow (although I haven't been in a few years but it gets great reviews) or Umberto's Il Giardino which has a pretty patio.

Your choice of the Wedgewood Hotel is wonderful, by the way.

L

Jul 20th, 2004, 07:32 AM

If it's a local/seasonal menu you want, Raincity Grill would be perfect. They change their menu every couple of weeks and specialize in local produce, etc. - the food is AMAZING.
Sep 7th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Hello - we just returned from Whistler and Vancouver trip. I'd highly recommend the Wedgewood Hotel to anyone staying in Vancouver - service was wonderful and the room was beautifully appointed (Frette linens and upscale toiletry products, beautiful tapestry on bed); the bathrooms were marble (again, Frette towels and robes - the Four Seasons in Whistler had the same linens and towels) and the adjustable Kohler showerpiece is terrific. The chocolates upon arrival is an especially nice touch. The famous cookies at turndown were a nice touch although a bit overrated. Request a view overlooking the Robson gardens if you do book there. The location was fantastic and central to everything. Staff was extremely gracious.

I'd also recommend Brix for dinner. We were treated really well and had a perfect table in the window. Very nice entrees list, selection of tapas and wines by the glass. Top notch service and terrific at serving appetizers / tapas style throughout the varous courses (sometimes wait staff is not so gracious because of the several trips to overall price of meal ratio).