Visit to the Maritimes Aug 2 - 11

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (40) and our 2 kids (8 & 12) are planning a trip to the Maritimes at the beginning of August. We are travelling out of Toronto and our kids would like to take the sleeper train so we will be taking the Via into the Maritime and then flying out back to Toronto. We have 8 nights & plan to rent a car. We are hoping to be able to savour the experience rather than trying to pack as many activities in as possible. We aren't hikers, campers, golfers. We are considering the following and are looking for suggestions as to the best way (routes) to accomplish it and what (if any) changes we should make:
Hopewell rocks, Fundy bay, Cape Breton- cabot trails, Pei - Anne of green gables, lobster supper, Halifax, sunset at Peggy's cove, Lunenburg.

We would also love to hear if there are any local festivals or events we should see.

Thanks so very much for any input you can provide.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 12:53 PM

You will have to change trains in Montreal, and then the service to the Maritimes runs only, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. If you disembark at Moncton, you can drive to Hopewell Rocks which is about a 35 minute drive and/or drive to PEI via the Bridge in about one hour. If you go to both Hopewell Rocks and PEI it means back tracking to Moncton.

Stay one or two nights in PEI, then drive to Wood Island for the ferry to Caribou, NS. From there you can drive to Cape Breton where you will stay for two nights, and then onto Halifax for two nights. Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg can be done in one day. It is tight but doable. Note it is about five hours from Cape Breton to Halifax. You can adjust your schedule depending on your interests.

I recommend you order the "Doers and Dreamers' guide on N.S. for festivals. In PEI you won't have trouble finding a lobster supper.
Old Feb 12th, 2017, 05:01 PM

Trex, The Cabot Trail is a MUST. My wife and I have traveled extensively and we still think that the Cabot Trail is one of the most beautiful places we have ever experienced. If you have the time take the turn off to Meat Cove on the eastern most part of the trail. There is not a lot there, but the view is spectacular. Also, in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park you will find a trail called Skyline. Take the time to walk this trail and make sure you descend down the boardwalk. It's amazing.
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Scotia your suggested inteniary sounds doable. Is there room for us to include the Cabot trail or will that be too much? Thanks
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 05:02 PM

It will be tight to include Cape Breton. You can leave Caribou after disembarking the ferry and drive to Cheticamp in Cape Breton which is about a three hour drive. You might want to stop in Pictou, as it is a very historic town. Scottish settlers arrived in Pictou aboard the ship Hector in 1773. A replica of the ship can be seen in Pictou harbour. First night in Cheticamp, drive around the Cabot Trail, and stay in Baddeck the second night before heading to Halifax.

I don't know if you have the time but your children will enjoy visiting Louisbourg Fortress which is east of Sydney. The costumed folks do not get out of character. When you enter they ask if you are French or English! I would adjust itinerary to include it and not rush Cape Breton. There are many hiking trails of different lengths that children also like as they can see the flora and fauna.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Scotia. Your feedback has been very helpful