Maritime canada

Old Jul 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maritime canada

We would like to visit nova scotia and p.e.i. We have one week. We have no idea where to stay what to see and how to get from place to place. Should we book a place in Halifax for three days and then p.e.I. For three days? Also what to do in a week and where to stay?!
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM

In a day - see Halifax, the Citadel, etc.
In 2 days- add a side (day) trip to Peggy's Cove or Lunenburg
In 5 or 6 days - add a quick trip to Cape Breton.
In 9 days - add a glimpse of PEI.

A week is very tight for what you want to see.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Anyone know where we could stay in Halifax, and P.E.I
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM

Yes, for "one week", it is most time-cost effective to fly into and out of Halifax.

Are you hinting that you won't be renting a car?? (need clarity on that)

Were it Meeeeeeeeeee, with a week, and wanting to make the most of the area while including PEI, I would begin as most should by renting a car from Halifax and driving north to Cape Breton, perhaps for two nights, and while there you circle the Cabot Trail.

Then, drive to Pictou, NS and catch the ferry to PEI, spending two nights there (probably Charlottetown)... before departing from PEI via the Confederation Bridge (the TOLL will be nearly FORTY-FIVE DOLLARS for so doing!!!!).

Upon arrival in New Brunswick, take advantage of where you are and go see Hopewell Cape, NB (which is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from the mainland side of the Confederation Bridge.

Ideally you'll time your visit to Hopewell Cape to coincide with Low Tide. If a day is consumed by the side trip then maybe spend a night in Moncton, NB (see the Tidal Bore, just for amusement).

You can go to this website already and find the exact tide times for Hopewell Cape during the window of your trip: http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...gion=5&zone=30

SO, lets say that 5th night is happening in Moncton. The next day you drive back via Sackville, NS and consider taking the road down to Parrsboro, NS... and heading toward Truro, NS on that, more scenic path, before joining up with the main freeway again enroute back to Halifax.

Whether you have one or two more nights at that point, they should be spent in Halifax, perhaps with a side trip to Peggy's Cove for lunch or dinner.

To me that represents an ideal week in the area for those who haven't been there before.

Maybe I'd make a slight variable so that IF one got to the Cabot Trail on that first day in Cape Breton, he/she might then make the next night in Pictou, to catch the ferry the next day, rather than need to stay in Cape Breton (Baddeck, makes sense) for a second night (allowed as a possibility because FOG could ruin a day with regard to the potential scenery on the Cabot Trail)

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Yes we would rent a car