Victoria/Vancouver Itinerary

Aug 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Victoria/Vancouver Itinerary

liked the idea of flying to Vancouver to Victoria but it's a hard connection on Air Canada because we're coming all the way from Orlando. I know this may sound silly but I would have a nervous breakdown on a Seaplane although I am still considering it. I also thought that the ferry ride would be a nice trip. so here's what I'm thinking. Fly to Vancouver. Spend the night to recover from 9 hour trip. Get up early next day, rent a car, take ferry to Victoria. Spend one day downtown, one day B. Garden, three days to drive up to Tofino and one day to come back, get back to Vancouver by ferry and then drive up to Whistler for a few days. A few questions: 1) I thought if we save money on the flight it would pay for the car for the entire 10 day trip and then we would have the convenience of having a car the whole trip 2) Where would be the best place to do a whale watching trip 3) Does this itinerary sound like enough to do but not rushing too much.
Aug 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM

I think the itinerary sounds fine, although personally I would cut down time in Whistler. There are so many ways you could do this sort of trip. Are you planning on spending some days in Vancouver?
Aug 6th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Not sure what your flight times are, but there are Air Canada flights between Vancouver and Victoria almost every hour. What time do you arrive in Vancouver?
If you can conveniently get to Victoria on the day you fly out, I'd suggest you do that; you can rent a car at the Victoria airport.
Aug 6th, 2008, 10:43 AM

And they aren't all seaplanes that fly between Vancouver and Victoria (although you can get those if you really wanted). Flight time is about 20 minutes so it wouldn't add that much more to your travel day. Just checked the Air Canada website and there is a flight from Orlando, change planes in Toronto, and then direct from Toronto to Victoria.
Aug 6th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sending me to the Air Canada website. Problem is that the flight gets in at 3:00 am EST. Also the airfare is about $400 more per person. Should I take a Xanax and tough out the Seaplane? We spent some time in Vancouver a few years back and it is gorgeous. This time I thought we could get out of town and enjoy some scenic areas out of the city. If you wouldn't spend as much time in Whistler, what else would you suggest? I like the advice of flying but isn't the ferry fun too? Or is it a big pain? And any ideas on the whale watching?
Aug 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM

I still don't understand why you think you have to take a seaplane? Even if you overnight in Vancouver, take Air Canada or WestJet over to Victoria the next day or rent the car in Vancouver and drive.
Aug 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM

The ferry can be a pain with a car if you have to take it a lot, but for you it might be enjoyable. It does take a fair amount of time - driving to the terminal, waiting in the lineup, taking the one-and-a-half-hour ferry trip - maybe missing a sailing if you don't pay extra for a reservation. If you decided not to take a car on it, you could consider flying one way and taking the bus & ferry another for the best of both worlds.

The float plane trip can be wonderfully scenic and the beauty of it is that it lands/departs right in Victoria's downtown harbour. Skip the Xanax if you can. I think our float planes have a much better safety record than BC Ferries.

Of course if you take a car all the way, you have the option of taking the ferry back from Nanaimo after visiting Tofino, and then you could drive along spectacular Howe Sound on the mainland.

Don't let me put you off Whistler. I'm just not a fan. I would rather spend more time on the island, in Vancouver, or drive to the Okanagan.

Sorry, I don't know about whale watching.
Aug 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

That is a really good idea to take the ferry from Nanaimo. No one has mentioned Telegraph Hill. It sounded interesting in the Fodor's Guide.

Search this Thread