Search

victoria hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
victoria hotels

I'm just considering my hotel choices for Victoria in July. I am wondering if there is any construction going on around the Hotel Grand Pacific or Marriott Inner Harbor--anybody stayed there very recently. Thanks.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:03 AM

I haven't stayed at either. There is construction near the Marriott but not the Grand Pacific.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:18 AM

There is definately construction across the road from the Marriott Inner Harbour, but it is still a nice hotel. The construction is due to start any day now, so it could be a little noisy. I've stayed there once & I found it to be in the best location. Close to restaurants, bars and shops. It is right behind the Fairmont Empress Hotel and a short walk from the Museum. I'm not sure about the Hotel Grand Pacific.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM

We are visiting Victoria mid September and are booked into the Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour. After reading about construction I called the hotel and they told me there is NO construction and there has not been any for 2 years! What's going on?
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:51 PM

If you asked them if there was construction then no there hasn't been any for two years; however if you asked them if there is going to be any construction and they said no, then I hate to say it but I think they are lying. The construction across the road from the Marriott is due to start any day now. In fact, I was walking past there just the other day and there was a big digger machine that was being moved onto the site. So one can only assume that they are starting to dig the hole for the underground parking etc very soon. Maybe the hotel is trying not to lose out on any bookings?
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM

No construction in the last two years? My eye! They're still working on the building right next to the Marriott and construction is across the road.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

And the Grand Pacifc??Any views that should be avoided there?
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:38 AM

If we want to avoid construction around the Marriott Victoria Inner Harbour, any comments on the Coast Victoria Harbourside?
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:04 AM

I suspect the Marriott Hotel interpreted the question very narrowly to mean "construction on the hotel itself" -- which would be true. Small comfort if the neighborhood is being dug up.

The Coast Victoria Harbourside is usually good value for money. It isn't as lux as the Marriott or Grand Pacific, though, and it's a 10 to 15 minute walk to the center of town. The really nice hotel in that area (Southwest of the Inner Harbour) is the Laurel Point Inn, especially the studio suite rooms.
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM

The Laurel Point Inn is a really nice hotel. The apartment / condo building right next to the Marriott is now finished (I'm moving into an apartment there today) althought the shops underneath are yet to open. Good luck with finding a hotel...