Vancouver-Whistler Sea to Sky Highway

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Any recommended scenic stops along the way in addition to Shannon Falls?
-Also I'm looking for a good lunch place en route. So far my search turned up the Roadhouse Restaurant in Squamish, is this a good place for breakfast/lunch, or is there a better place along the way?
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:31 AM

Take a look into Whistler-tourism recommendations:

======================================
From Sea to Sky - the Most Romantic Road in the World

Highway 99 from Vancouver to Whistler is often referred to as the "Sea to Sky" Highway. This two hour drive was voted the most romantic road in the world. Photo opportunities include:

Snow-capped mountains
Bald eagles and other wildlife
Shannon Falls waterfall and park
Roaring hydro electric dams
Ferries and cruise ships in Howe Sound
Historical landmarks and Aboriginal craft stores
The Stawamus Chief granite monolith (one of only two in the world)
Awesome canyons and white water rivers
There are plenty of gas stations, restaurants, and grocery stores in Squamish - the half way point to Whistler.
=======================================
Take also into consideration, that the highway is under construction and you have to consider delays and highway closures at the construction sites.

Take a look into the construction schedule for your travel time under

www.seatoskyimprovements.ca

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM

The locals spot in Squamish for lunch is the Shady Tree Pub, which is located just at the northern tip of Squamish before Brackendale, right on Highway 99.

Another idea is Howe Sound Brewing Company's brewpub. They make excellent beer, which of course you won't be able to fully enjoy while driving but they also serve lunch.(www.howesound.com)
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM

this page touches on all the stops along the Sea-to-Sky Highway, http://www.findfamilyfun.com/seatosky.htm

My favourite restaurant is the Roadhouse Diner which is at Shannon Falls not Squamish. Sit back with a pint of beer, a delicious burger, and a spectacular fiew of the falls.

A stop to watch the climbers on the Stawamus chief is amusing, and a swim at Browning Lake.
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:05 PM

The drive is the scenic part... the stops not as much (with exception to Shannon Falls).

However, depending on where you're departing from, you can take the scenic route between Vancouver and Horseshoe Bay. When you cross the Lions Gate Bridge, take Marine Drive west-bound, instead turning north up Taylor Way. Marine Drive takes you through a very scenic, winding road through cliffside mansions and waterfront views. You eventually end up at Horseshoe Bay, which you bypass completely if you take Hwy 99 from Vancouver. Horseshoe Bay has a little harbour, and a bunch of restaurants which are quite scenic. What's even more hidden away and beautiful is Whytecliff Park, located a 5 minute drive south-west of Horseshoe Bay. Once you get there, there are signs pointing you to the park. The park is a little lookout point overlooking Howe Sound, Bowen Island, and all the way over to Point Grey at Vancouver. There's a little manicured garden and a beach there where many people go scubadiving. It's a beautiful little stop right at the beginning of your trip.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:14 AM

Someone mentioned Horseshoe Bay; if you enjoy seafood you might turn off here and eat at Trolls where you can watch the ferries dock.
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:25 AM

The last time I went to Trolls (Labour Day long weekend) was my first time there, but I wasn't so impressed - food seemed subpar. There is, however, a Boathouse seafood restaurant over the water which has a large patio. I've been there about 3 times now. I would recommend the Boathouse over Trolls.
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the good information.
We will be traveling through around noon or earlier, so a little early for seafood, IMO. Anybody know of any good breakfast/lunch sport in Horseshoe bay. I will see what my own search turns up too. Thank you!
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Most of the restaurants in Horseshoe Bay are located along the main road along the harbour - you can walk along it within 5 minutes. I'd still recommend the Boathouse for a good lunch. Come to think of it, everytime I've been there, I've been for lunch.

This will give you an idea:

http://www.guestlife.com/vancouver/dine/boathouse.html
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:35 AM

... and I should also mention, most restaurants along the harbour there are either restaurant-pubs, or seafood restaurants. Of course, you can always order non-seafood menus. There are more super-casual family-owned cafes serving sandwiches along the side streets, and even a Subway sandwiches place.