Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver/Victoria: Please help with hotel decision!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am treating my parents to a trip to Canada for their 50th anniversary in mid-Sept. of this year. They prefer modest hotels like Holiday Inn, Howard Johnson, etc. I prefer a little higher rating, but am afraid it would be out of their comfort zone. Can anyone recommend a safe decent modest hotel in Vancouver and also in Victoria? I'd try Priceline, but I think I may get something sketchy at a 2-3 star rating. We won't have a car - only public transportation. I sure appreciate any help you have to offer!

Billie
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

P.S. - I forgot to mention (if this makes any difference) that we are arriving by train. Thanks!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Quite right -- a 2 or even a 3 star bid could land you somewhere less than ideal although the Priceline advocates among us will no doubt offer cunning strategies to circumvent the potential downside.

Thinking of mid-market chains, none of the Holiday Inn, Residence Inn, Ramada Limited, Howard Johnson, Best Western Downtown Vancouver, Best Western Chateau Granville or Quality Inn are in particularly good locations. Some are in or bordering on outright scummy locations where I certainly wouldn't want my elderly mother walking or waiting for a bus.

I have this "not too fancy, dear" challenge with my 75-year old mother. Two places she is quite comfortable with are the Crowne Plaza Hotel Georgia (which has a great location) and the Rosedale on Robson. The Hotel Georgia is a comfortably worn old hotel in the closest thing downtown Vancouver has to a main square -- the Art Gallery square. The Rosedale in modern and comfortable on Robson Street.

If prices in mid-September are still on the high side for those to, I think the Days Inn Downtown on West Pender Street might be your best bet.

In Victoria, the Quality Inn Downtown and Executive House Hotel would be my picks for what you're describing. I don't think your parents would necessarily feel out of place in a Victoria 4-star (if Priceline rears its head again) but one of them -- the Delta Ocean Pointe Resort -- is tricky from the public transportation point of view and might be just a little too far for older people to walk very frequently.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:07 PM

In Victoria the Days Inn on the harbour has a super location. I know someone who stayed there and was perfectly happy with it.
http://www.daysinnvictoria.com/

You could also try the Ramada Huntingdon in the same area.
http://netopiadesigncenter.com/ramadavictoria/aboutus/
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:32 AM

In Vancouver we stayed at the Buchan hotel.it's very peaceful in a treelined street not far from the beautiful park.Paul