Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver to Victoria - Ferry direct to harbor?

Jun 1st, 2003, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

My husband swears that the last time he was in Vancouver, he took a ferry directly from Vancouver to Victoria inner harbor. The only ferry I have been able to find is the one that goes to Tswassian (sp?). Can anyone clarify this for us. We will not have a car and a direct ferry to the inner harbor would be much more convenient.

Thanks.
Jun 1st, 2003, 02:47 PM
BAK

He could have taken a seaplane from harbor to harbor.

Maybe someone in Vancouver noticed a ferry in the downtown harbor, but I've never seen one, nor heard of one, in dozens of visits to Vancouver.

In addition to the ferry from the place i can't spell either, which is south of Vancouver and runs to Sydney, which then requires a drive into Victoria, there's a second ferry route.

Leave downtown Vancouver, cross over the Lion's Gate Bridge, and drive along the shoreline or a hoighway parrale to the shoreline to Horseshoe Bay. There are beautiful views and it saves the drive all across Vancouver to the soutern terminal.

Once on Vancouver Island, at Duncan near Nanaimo, there's a fairly long drive to Victoria. This drive usually takes me a couple of hours, stopping to see the scenery, etc.

To me, Horseshoe Bay is the route to take over to the island when not in a hurry, and Tsawassen is the route to take leaving Vancouver Island and heading to the Vancouver Airport, which is also south of the city.

BAK
Jun 1st, 2003, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info BAK but we won't have a car. He didn't take a seaplane.
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:44 PM

Your husband is correct-at one time there was a (short lived) service downtown to downtown-I remember being off Point Grey and seeing one go by-a Hydrofoil I think.

If you're not intereted in driving then the Greyhound Bus http://www.greyhound.ca/ is an option as are the Seaplanes and Helicopter service.
Jun 1st, 2003, 09:38 PM

There might also have been a Hovercraft at one time as well.

There's talk of another service starting up but there's always talk...
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:12 AM

Ronda, what you can do since you won't have a car is to take the Pacific Coach Lines bus from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria. The bus terminal in Victoria isn't far from the inner harbour. The bus goes right on to the ferry and you just get back on it for the trip in to Victoria.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:16 AM

Seattle offers a direct downtown-Seattle to downtown-Victoria ferry. Most people combine a trip to Seattle with a trip to Vancouver if they're in the area. He's not thinking of Seattle, is he?
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:18 AM

I don't know when your husband was last in Victoria but up to around t5-30 years ago the Black Ball or CP Ferries used to run ships harbour to haubour both to Nanaimo and Victoria. After they built the Tsawassen Terminal there were still ferries from Vanouver harbour to Nanaimo for about 10-15 years but then these stopped in the mid to late seventies.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. No Carmen, wasn't Seattle. We decided to stay in Victoria for the weekend as an afterthought. My husband has to be in Vancouver for business duing the week and originally were just going to stay in Vancouver and daytrip to Victoria. So, our flight is into Vancouver arriving at 1:20 which won't give us enough time to catch the 1:40 bus (and ferry) so will take the 3:20. Arrives in Victoria at 7:30 p.m.

Jun 2nd, 2003, 06:15 PM

Ronda, I'm assuming you know you can catch the bus to Victoria at the Vancouver airport, right?
Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, meetshare, yes, we will catch it at the airport. Because of the time crunch, I did check into taking a cab to the ferry and picking up the bus there but was told the cab would be expensive since it is 30 min to 45 min ride.

We have resigned outselves to a late arrival. Our hotel told me that they recommend the Wharfside Eatery (Victoria) so will call today and see how late they are open on a Friday night. We have no plans but to enjoy the weekend.