Vancouver Restaurants

Jun 14th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Vancouver Restaurants

Am going to Vancouver next weekend. Can anyone recommend any of the special restaurants that make Vancouver famous? It would have to be one that was not a "seafood only" restaurant--we have one non-fish eater; and nothing outrageously fancy.... Thank you for any suggestions
Joan
Jun 14th, 2003, 03:17 PM

I was in Vancouver for my birthday last year and went on the VIA Rail dinner train, which was wonderful. You travel in restored 1920s/30s/40s trains and are fed a 4 course meal as you travel up the coast, mid-way to Whistler.

You pre-order your meal, from what I remember, and there are several options of meals to choose from.

It is fairly expensive, but worth it for a special meal because it is so unique and the train trip is amazingly beautiful. They book up pretty quickly, so make a reservation soon if you are interested.
Jun 14th, 2003, 04:34 PM

Sydney is somewhat mixed up-the train that he was on was run by BC Rail and in any case is no longer in service.

If you're looking for quality try http://www.ouestrestaurant.com/ouest/ now called for some reason 'West'.
Jun 15th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Yes, I lived in Vancouver last year and didn't know about BC Rail shutting down last fall. Sorry for the misinformation.

I am sad to hear about it -- but glad I got to ride the Vancouver-Whistler route and go on the dinner train before it closed.
Jun 15th, 2003, 03:49 PM

we went to umberto's il giordino twice while we were there and thoroughly enjoyed it. We noticed that a lot of the people seemed to know one another so it is a restaurant that is frequented by locals. I would make a reservation.
Jun 15th, 2003, 04:31 PM

First of all Vancouver is famous for it's West Coast Cuisine and it's Asian - specifically the many varieties of Chinese, East Indian and Japanese cuisines although it's not a slouch for Vietnamese, Korean, Thai and Malay/Indonesian as well.

While West Coast Cuisine is primarily seafood, (Halibut, Salmon, Dungeness Crab, Oyster's etc,), all seafood restaurants have non seafood items and West Coast Rest. usually have some game items like Pheasant, Emu, Buffalo, Rabbit, etc. which are very much a part, (except for the Buffalo & Emu), of West Coast cooking. My favorite West Coast restaurant is the Rain City Grill though of late it's prices have gone up about 25% and the portions, while superb in quality are short on quantity. Bishops on fourth Avenue is also a great though pricey place. If you really want to try something you'll never see anywhere outside of BC try the Liliget Feasthouse on Davie which is run entirely by First Nations, (Native Indians), and is as authentic West Coast as you can get. They usually have a show of First Nations song and Dance as well. Another highly reccomended West Coast Cuisine restaurant is Carderos near Stanley Park and the Westin Bayshore. It's very good, very trendy and not at all fancy. Mind you of the ones I've mentioned only Bishops might be even a little 'fancy'.

Asian food is a whole different subject and would take a book to categorize. Chinese alone falls into Cantonese, Cantonese Seafood, Mandarin, Szechuan, Shanghainese, Taiwanese, Hunan and a few others. Cantonese and Szechuan are probably the most common in North America. Chinese food is so common in Vancouver that few are pricey and even fewer are fancy. I reccomend that if you're interested in Chinese food you ask your Hotel where the best one in his opinion is. Or perhaps a braver soul than I will offer a suggestion.

East Indian food is also broken up between regions Most common and well known is Tandoori but there is also a South Indian variant which you eat with Banana Leafs for utensils and there is also an East Africa Indian cuisine. Of course there are the many Indian Vegetarian restaurants. Again there are literally hundreds and hundreds of East Indian restaurants all over the city and especially in the Punjabi Market area of Main and 49th Avenue but not being a real mavin of East Indian food I hesitate to reccomend any.

One of the best Japanese Restaurants in the world outside Japan is Tojo's. But if your non=seafood friend doesn't like sushi there is also Japanese steak houses and the Teppan grill variety.

Finally while Vancouver has some very good Continental, Italian, Greek, etc. restaurants and Steakhouses I don't think they are any better than that found in other cosmopolitan cities so if you're looking for something specific to Vancouver then I suggest you try West Coast and Asian places.

Jun 16th, 2003, 06:46 AM

I love Il giardino for Italian...like an Italian garden inside. Carderos is great too, right on the water and not expensive at all. My fave is a place called The Beach House at Dundarave Pier, in West Vancouver. Unbelievable setting, right on the beach with a seawall right in front. They have an outdoor patio with tiki torches for warm nights, and the food is great. A nice stroll after dinner right on the seawall is what the locals do. That is my first pick for sure. Very nice, but not fancy.
Jun 19th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much, these are fabulous suggestions, wish we had more nights to eat in Vancouver!!