vancouver on the 17th

Search

vancouver on the 17th

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vancouver on the 17th

we will be traveling to victoria and vancouver for 6 days. We will start in Vancouver on Saturday night. How long should we stay in each place? Where should we stay? What should we do? Do we need a car in either or both places? Thanks
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Sounds like you want us to plan your trip for you! We're willing to pitch in and help, but we need more information. How many people are you? Travelling with children? What are your interests? What's your approximate price range for accommodations? How do you plan to travel from Vancouver to Victoria?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:08 AM

I would stay downtown vancouver the whole time and take a daytrip to Victoria/Butchart Gardens. Several companies offer this either by bus/ferry at the cheapest or partly/fully by floatplane. But you gotta reveal more or do some homework on the web or in guidebooks to make discussions here useful...
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:11 PM

Can you recommend a hotel to stay in downtown Vancouver?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM

Janeann, what is your hotel budget and when are you coming to Vancouver?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

im new at this. sorry for not giving enough info. there will be 2 adults. reasonable price up to 150 for accommodation per night. If not an exact hotel, could you recommend an area of Vancouver. Ive read about stanley park and grouse mountain. Robeson St seems popular, any other ideas. We will leave for Victoria Tuesday morning by ferry. Any ideas will help. This is a new part of the world for us.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:38 PM

$150 US or Cdn? There's a difference!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:05 PM

We stayed at the Listel in Vancouver last year Which is on Robson Street. We had our car but never touched it. We were thre for about 3 days. lots of see. You can walk to the sea taxis and take them over to Granville Island. We just love it there. We also walked from there to Gastown and took a shuttle from the Cruiseship area to Stanley park. It is real easy to get around.
In April we stayed at the Coast Harborside, Victoria which was great. It was very close within walking distance to downtown Victoria. Great restaurant in the hotel. Also close to Fisherman's Wharf for fish & chips. There was also a stop at the front of the hotel for the sea taxi. We just loved the sea taxi rides. Have fun.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

hotel costs in the neighborhood of 150 american would be fine. Thanks for the info Taggie. Anybody have any thoughts on Victoria and things to do. Thanks for all the help.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 01:47 PM

Victoria has lots to do, and if you stay in the Inner Harbour area it will be the most convenient.
The new Hotel Grande Pacific is very convenient and I've heard it's very nice, and in your price range.
Other popular ones are Laurel Point Inn and the Coast Harbourside.
I've always enjoyed Abigail's Hotel and the Beaconsfield Inn, which are more B&B-type places, a bit off the beaten path.
Try tripadvisor.com and do a search there for Victoria hotels. It will give you lots of reviews and ideas of prices.

Government Street has lots of shops, and is very tourist oriented.
There are horse-drawn carriage tours you can take.
Or take one of the little harbour boat cruises.
The Royal BC Museum is great.
Try tea at the Empress Hotel or go a bit further afield to Oak Bay and have it at The Blethering Place.
There's a wax museum and aquarium by the harbour if you're into that kind of thing.

Gardens:
Abkhazi Gardens, although at their best in spring, are charming, and there's a wonderful story attached to them about a Russian prince and his British bride, separated during the war, who reunited in Victoria after being POWs. They planted a beautiful garden which was just recently saved from destruction by developers. On the way to the Oak Bay area.

Take an afternoon jaunt to Butchart Gardens - or go late afternoon and stay into the evening for their fireworks.

A car isn't necessary unless you want it. Most of the things from the above list you can easily walk to, except Oak Bay things. Butchart Gardens will probably have shuttle bus service. If you do have a car, there is a lovely scenic drive that goes along Dallas Rd. and out toward the university.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:30 AM

All such Victoria attractions may appeal especially to women, and some men, but probably fewer kids. Just a warning that the 2 kids and maybe the man may really miss Vancouver on those hours at Victoria gardens or over tea.

That's why I mentioned hit and run visits to Victoria such as by Pacific Coachlines. Don't forget Vancouver's anthropology museum and boat rides before rushing off to Victoria royal museum and boats exclusively...
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Skip the tea. It's over-rated in my opinion. You're husband and kids will love the Royal British Columbia Museum. It's fabulous and fun. There is a special exhibit just starting now on Egypt but the permanent exhibits with 'walk though'town etc. will be very much enjoyed by all.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 10:38 AM

I didn't see anywhere in Poolqueen's post that there were 2 kids, just 2 adults. Looks as if they are splitting the visit equally between the 2 cities so will have some time to do Vancouver activities and Daisyf mentioned some of the more popular ones. I was responding to the request for Victoria activity suggestions.
BTW the whole city of Victoria seems to be getting into the Egypt thing in connection with the museum exhibit... Spinnaker's Brew Pub even coming up with an "egyptian"-style beer!!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. We are booked at the Listel and I have a list of things we want to do. Is the bus tour around Vancouver on the double decker buses worth it? Thought that might give us a better idea of the city. What is the best way to get to Grouse mountain for the sunset viewing? Lastly, we will return on the ferry from Victoria on Friday afternoon. Where would be a good place to stay near the airport in Vancouver? We have an 8 AM flight on Saturday morning. How early should we get to the airport? Is 2 hours really necessary? Should we get the bus in Victoria to the ferry and then to downtown Vancouver or is there another way. I want to thank everyone for all your help. We can't wait to go. Ill touch base on our return.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:14 PM

There is a Fairmont Hotel right at the airport - I mean actually physically attached to the terminal. My parents have stayed there several times. It's surprisingly quiet, and very convenient if you have an early morning flight. I think the full name of the hotel is simply "Fairmont Vancouver Airport."

One of the Pacific Coach Line bus routes from Victoria to Vancouver stops at Vancouver airport. Here's the link.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/index.cf...hedule.airport

Hope you have a great trip. Let us know how it goes.