Vancouver in rain?

Search

Vancouver in rain?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver in rain?

We're coming to Vancouver next week for the first time. It looks like it's going to be rainy! Any suggestions on how to enjoy Vancouver in the rain? We also planned to spend a day at the gardens in Victoria... will is still be worth it? We'll have 3 full days (t-th). We're mostly looking forward to the beauty of the mountains by the water, some good food, relaxing and learning about what seems to be a cool city. Is the Granville market covered? Also, we're staying downtown. As far as public transportation, is it any harder if it's rainy? (are waiting stations for above ground transportation inside?) I sound pretty wimpy, huh? Actually, it'll probably be nice to see rain again! We're in a drought right now.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:19 AM

First of all, don't believe a word of the weather forecast unless it's issued that morning for that day! Weather forecasting here in this part of BC is not as accurate as it is in many other places, because the mountains and the ocean make the air currents behave unpredictably. So if they say it's going to rain on a particular day next week, it might, or it might not.

We have a friend visiting here in Victoria this week. She's from Toronto. She asked if she should bring a raincoat, but decided not to. Yesterday we walked around the downtown streets in Victoria in the rain - no raincoat, no umbrella. The rain is pretty gentle here. Having said that, I've also been in Vancouver during a summer downpour and was happy to have an umbrella there.

The public market buildings at Granville Market are covered. You'll also find that because it rains there so often (although much less so during the summer) many of the walkways between the galleries and shops there are covered as well.

You can pick up an umbrella in Vancouver just about anywhere, if you need one - and yes, Butchart Gardens (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to) is definitely worth it regardless of the weather. Have a great time!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:42 AM

Other than a few outdoor activities (e.g. suntanning on the beach), Vancouverites don't really let the rain stop them from doing anything that they would otherwise do. Make sure you have a raincoat and/or umbrella and you should be fine.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! That's very helpful! I'm glad to know it's not likely that we'll be "socked in" for the week!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:33 AM

I second the opinion that Butchart Gardens is worth it in any weather. They have umbrellas for you to use if needed.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, April. I was just reading that Van Dusen Gardens was a viable substitute, and almost decided not to spend the day making the trip to Victoria, since we only have 3 days. Any thoughts? I've also read that Victoria as a whole is a beautiful place, so we may do ourselves an injustice by not visiting.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM

I've always liked Van Dusen Gardens and with only 3 days, you can certainly spend it more profitably in Vancouver than taking a day trip to Victoria.

Other gardens you should consider visiting in Vancouver are the Nitobe Japanese garden at UBC (and while you are there don't miss the Museum of Anthropology), and the Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese garden. The UBC Botanical Garden is also quite interesting.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:49 PM

On the other hand, there's lots more to see in Victoria and on Vancouver Island than just Butchart Gardens. Were you just planning on a day trip? Perhaps you could come back and spend a few days on the Island next time.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM

If you were planning on going to Victoria just for the Butchart Garden then I say, "Don't Go" ...
You could easily spend 2 weeks in Vancouver and still feel like you want more time! You need EVERY ONE OF THOSE 3 DAYS!!

Victoria is a GORGEOUS place and really deserves time to look around. (You should plan on spending the night) - To take the trip out there just to go to the gardens is not giving it justice.

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

So, we've had our first day in Vancouver. It was a perfect day until late this afternoon, and now it's raining. We hit Stanley Park and Granville Island today because we got a bit of a late start. We ended up buying tickets to take the train to Whistler. When given the choice of Whistler or Victoria, hubby definitely wanted Whistler. So that's basically our day tomorrow. I hope it'll be beautiful, even if it's rainy some of the time. We both love the mountains. SO that leaves us with Thursday. I'm thinking of visiting Van Dusen Gardens and Queen Eliz. Gardens, then someone suggested the suspension bridge and Grouse Mountain. If the weather's bad enough that we decide to do a museum instead, and only have part of a day, which would you suggest? We'd probably be most interested in Vancouver or BC info, since we've been to a museum in Alaska and some in Europe. We'd want to see the things unique to Canada. ALso, in the areas of the Gardens, where can we find some of the wonderful sushi we've heard about? With only shot at it, i don't want to pick a mediocre one! Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:59 AM

The UBC Museum of Anthropology is terrific, I'd suggest visiting it even if it's not raining.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Just a heads-up, I'm also planning to make a first trip to Vancouver next week and see on the Museum of Anthropology website that they will be closing on September 1st for renovations. Will need to make other plans if the museum was on your itinerary!
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM

OH,NO! That's really bad news!

We're heading out there from PA on Sept. 16. I was really looking forward to the museum. ;~(

~Liz
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Well, it really did rain most of the time! But we still enjoyed it immensely. We took a train ride to Whistler instead of going to Victoria. I do want to come back and spend more time in Victoria than the day we would've had. Whistler is beautiful, and it was a beautiful drive up, whether you're on the train, bus or car. (note that it may take as long on the road as on a train because of construction to get ready for the Olympics) It'll be fun to see the tv coverage from there during the Olympics. Then Thursday we got a bit of a late start, so we ditched the museum (also because of the closing - it seemed to make sense to come back and see the improved version!), and walked Gastown and Robson shopping distric t to get a feel for Vancouver, and spent some time at the Van Dusen gardens. they were very enjoyable, even though i'm sure they were not a real substitute for Butchart Gardens. But even hubby who was not enthused about gardens said that was one of the things he really enjoyed.
We were able to walk, take a subway, or a taxi, train, or bus anywhere we wanted to go. It was nice not to have a car.
They Hyatt downtown was nice... a good location,, plenty of room, comfortable beds, etc. The concierge was very helpful. We didn't eat there at all.
Vancouver restaurants: Our best meal was at Joe Fortes. I was a little worried after hearing about "simple" fish because we have a bit of a gourmet taste, but it was one of the best fish dishes we've had (black sea bass to be specific). We also enjoyed Chambar. It's not a quiet place, but it had a great vibe, and the food was great. I hope that helps others as they plan! I know i've appreciated everyone's advice and comments as we planned our days.And we'll use the advice when we come back! It's definitely takes more than 3 days to see this beautiful place! Thank you all!