Vancouver Hotels

Search

Vancouver Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver Hotels

I will be going to Vancouver next week and would like a hotel recomendation. So far we have it narrowed down to the Westin, the Pan Pacific, and the Fairmont Waterfront. We are two couples, traveling for pleasure. Can anyone who has had an experience with any of these please comment? Also, restauant suggestions would be great as well. Seafood and Chinese. Thanks
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:42 PM

You posted on the other thread that you meant the Wedgewood, not the Westin, so just adding that to this thread.

How important is an ocean view to you? I don't think you can get that from the Wedgewood. You could from the other two (presumably if you paid the rate for it).
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 10:56 PM

I've been looking into the Wedgewood and the Pan Pacific for next week as well. A "preferable view" room at the Wedgewood would cost us $50 less than a "spectacular view" room at the Pan Pacific. If money wasn't an issue and if I'd never been to Vancouver before, I'd probably choose the great view. But I've never stayed at either hotel so I hope you get more opinions.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Amy

The Wedgewood is my favourite hotel ever; there's just something really special about it to me. Views have never been a really big factor for me in a hotel; they're nice, but how long does one really spend just looking out the hotel window? For me, the answer is: "Not much!" (even when the view was the Parthenon...)

Anyway, I do very highly recommend the Wedgewood! Its Bacchus restaurant is excellent, as well. Vancouver pix are at http://community.webshots.com/user/missalg
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 11:11 PM

For me, the view is really important (I loved the view of the Parthenon!), but people here do seem to love the Wedgewood. To butt in on Baumer's post for a moment (sorry), are there any other restaurants in the area that you can recommend, Amy? We usually stay down by the park. We like casual places like The Chef & The Carpenter and Carderos, rather than more high-end restaurants that tend to serve the artfully arranged blob of food in the middle of the plate.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Amy

I enjoyed the food (good serving size, non-pretentious) at DaPastaBar on Robson Street; the name sounds pretty awful, but it was a fun and friendly place with good food.
I also liked Grouse Mountain's bistro; much better food than I expected, to be honest. Now I'm starting to get "homesick" for Vancouver...pity I'm about six hours of flying time away from it! (Definitely not a weekend trip option.)

I was only there for five days, so the only fairly major restaurant I visited was Bacchus; sorry I can't be more help. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 01:15 PM

At this time of the year I wouldn't book a hotel based on "view". I'd pick "location" instead (walking distance to transportation and restarants etc.). Reason ? We just came back. Had a room with a great view of the harbour and Grouse and Seymour, but hardly ever saw them. In 8 days the north shore was locked in with fog, clouds and rain most of the time (including the sunny days). We had a great view of the fuel barges in the harbour - but that's it! My preference has been and still is - a hotel on Robson in the West End where you can walk anywhere.

Linda
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 02:37 PM

Thanks, Amy. We've booked the Wedgewood.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 06:02 PM
Amy

Have a great trip! I hope you become a "Wedgewood addict" like some of the rest of us here.