Reload this Page >

VANCOUVER APRIL 2002

Search

VANCOUVER APRIL 2002

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 12:34 PM
ANTHONY

VANCOUVER APRIL 2002

WE ARE FROM THE UK AND WILL BE SPENDING 4 DAYS IN VANCOUVER AND 7 IN SEATTLE IN APRIL. WE WILL BE STAYING AT THE SANDMAN DOWNTOWN. WHAT IS THIS HOTEL LIKE. IS IT CLOSE TO GM PLACE AS WE ARE GOING THERE ONE NIGHT. ALSO ARE THERE ANY GOOD FAMILY RESTAURANTS NEARBY.<BR>WE ARE THINKING OF USING OF USING THE QUICKCOACH SERVICE TO GET TO SEATTLE BUT IT ONLY STOPS AT THE TRAVELODGE IN DOWNTOWN SEATTLE. CAN ANYBODY WHO HAS USED THIS SERVICE TELL ME IF IT IS EASY TO GET A TAXI FROM THIS STOP.<BR>THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Ken

The Sandman Inn is an OK motel right in the downtown area. GM Place is close, but not really walking distance unless you are good at reading maps and ready for a 20 minute walk. There is a restaurant at street level. Most of the eateries in that area are too noisy and geared to partygoers though. If you have the time to do some exploring, walk around the Robson Street area where there are a million restaurants of whatever cuisine you might like. Just be aware that Robson Street is also lined with shops galore so it may be hard to keep your wallet closed. <BR>I don't know the QuickCoach service or who runs it. You can check www.greyhound.com to see what they have to offer. Their bus terminal is also in downtown Vancouver, very near GM Place Stadium.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:16 AM
klam

Ken, I agree with everything you say, but...I thought the Sandman was pretty close to GM Place. In fact, if driving and looking for free after-hour parking, I don't know if you could park much closer. I'm thinking walking from W. Georgia & Cambie, over 1 block to Dunsmuir, 1 block down to Beatty, and then over the connecting bridge to GM Place...a 5 minute walk? I don't live in YVR anymore, so I stand to be corrected. Anyone?<BR><BR>There are lots of eateries in that area. I liked Rosie's Deli on Hamilton. Have a great trip!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:08 AM
gary

The question has to be asked. why 7 days in Seattle and only four in Vancouver. While 4 days is just barely enough to get a good overview of Vancouver - a week is way too long for Seattle unless you're visiting relatives or something. I would suggest taking three or four days from Seattle and visiting the Olympic Peninsula, San Jaun and/or Gulf Islands, Vancouver Island and Victoria or even Whistler where the Ski season should still be going strong.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Ken

Sheesh klam, you had to point out my big boo-boo. Yes are absolutely right - the Sandman Inn is in spitting distance of GM Place. I was erroneously thinking of the Bosman Inn on Howe Street. The Sandman's address is 180 West Georgia. <BR>And I agree with Gary - I have toured Seattle and ran out of things to do after 1-1/2 days.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:14 AM
nikki

just done van, calgary, seattle and van island for 4 weeks; sandman near GM place is of excellant value as is Georgian court; canucks rule; calgary not great but enjoyed it anyway; seattle totally rocks even if the place we stayed in was a dive; van island gorgeous, whistler okay not our scene!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:23 PM
Lori

As a Vancouverite, I might suggest you spend your four days in Vancouver, go over to Victoria for a couple of days (you can take a Pacific Coach Lines bus from the Train Station/Bus Terminal in Vancouver) which boards the ferry and takes you to downtown Victoria, spend a couple of days in Victoria and then take the ferry from Victoria to Seattle. The Sealink offers walk-on catamaran service between Victoria and Seattle.<BR><BR>Or follow Gary's advice. If you are skiers, the season is in full swing at Whistler, and there is bus service between Vancouver & Whistler (about 2 hour trip).

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:30 PM
Lori

As a correction to what I just posted, the walk on ferry service between Victoria & Seattle is the "Victoria Clipper", not the Sealink -- I'm dating myself naming a now obsolete service.<BR><BR>