Vancouver & Victoria

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vancouver & Victoria

Hi all:

My fiance and I are planning to honeymoon in Canada in July. We have 2.5 weeks and are planning on splitting are time between Vancouver/Victoria, Whistler, and the Canadian Rockies. This post relates to Vancouver/Victoria.

We are thinking of spending 3 nights in Vancouver, and 2 or 3 nights on Vancouver Island. We woud appreciate any recommendations, especially with respect to lodging.

For Vancouver: Is West End a good place to stay? It is our understanding that, if we stay in West End, we can walk through nice areas to both Stanley Park and downtown Vancouver. Two places we are thinking about in Vancouver are O'Canada House or West End Guest Houses. Any thoughts?

For Victoria: Is it better to stay in town or at one of the resorts outside of town? We plan to see the town of Victoria, but we would also enjoy hiking, kayaking in beautiful scenery. Here are some places we are thinking about:

Brentwood Bay Lodge & Spa
Sooke Harbor House
Beaconsfield Inn
Fairholme Manor

Any thoughts on the above places?

Also, what about staying in the Chemainus Valley, such as Birdsong Cottage or Fairburn Farm?

Is Wickinnish Inn in Tofino worth the money and worth traveling to? We heard that the location is fanatasitc, but the Inn itself is overpriced. Any recommendations for lodging on the West Coast of Vancouver Island? Is the West Coast foggy in the summer?

Thanks for your time and help.

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Oh Canada House would be my choice of those two, especially for a honeymoon. You might also look at English Bay Inn if you want a West End B&B.

If you have can only go to one place on Vancouver Island, I'd make it Tofino, hands down--it's an amazing place. The Middle Beach Lodge is a more reasonably priced but still very nice option for lodging if you don't want to splurge for the Wick. Tofino takes a while to get to, though (about 5 hours each way from Vancouver by car/ferry), so unless you're flying, go for at least 3 nights/two full days (even if you're flying, I think you'd regret staying for less time).
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, NWWanderer!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:41 AM

Here's a vote for Middle Beach Lodge in Tofino (http://www.middlebeach.com/). We've only stayed in the Lodge at the Beach and enjoyed it tremendously, but there are several options. If you go, do consider one of their dinner nights - white tableclothes but served buffet style -- walking up from our rooms through the forest trail is a nice difference from regular restaurants. Stay 3 nights if you can; we've only stayed 2 nights on both visits and found that a little short.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 10:52 AM

I love Tofino as well but if you decide on Victoria I would stay one night at Sooke Harbour house and 1 in town around the harbour. Or 1 night Victoria and 1 at the Aerie on the Malahat hwy It's incredible
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Sludick and Weasel! I appreciate the inpout.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Sludick, what is the difference between the Lodge at the Beach and the Lodge at the Headlands? Are they both nice?
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Not Sludick ;-), but I've stayed at both lodges at Middle Beach quite a few times, so I hope you don't mind me chiming in.

The Lodge at the Beach was the original lodge. It's now adults only and has small, simple but nicely appointed rooms. Many have ocean views and there's a great room at this lodge and lots of decks with chairs for guests to enjoy. These rooms are less expensive than most of the Headlands options.

The original lodge didn't work for families or people who wanted more space, so they added the Lodge at the Headlands a little ways away (short walk but through trees so you can't see one lodge from the other), which has suites and cabins as well as lodge rooms. Some are quite large and posh, others are more simple. There's also a great room at this lodge where they do the West Coast Suppers.

The Middle Beach website actually has a pretty indepth description of the various rooms, suites and cabins if you go on the rates page.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:51 PM

Of course I don't mind you chiming in. Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:58 PM

I meant to add, TML14, that I don't think staying in the Chemainus valley would be a good option for the amount of time you have. It's not close to much so you'd probably spend a lot of time driving.

Also, I wouldn't bother with Whistler if I was going to the Rockies. They just don't compare in my book... except that the drive along Howe Sound is spectacular.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Thanks for chiming in, NWWanderer! Another thing that is worth mentioning -- there are no televisions in the rooms at Lodge on the Beach. There is a television room on the second floor. We like the fact that the rooms are a bit closer to the beach (although still up on the cliff somewhat), and it seems to have a more "away from it all" feeling.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 06:55 AM

I can only comment on the Sooke Harbor House. Husband and I stayed there this year for our 20th anniversary, and although lovely, unless you are planning on spending alot of time in your room, it is very pricey for what you get. What really makes this place special are the lovely rooms. Also ate at the restaurant, and the food was nice, but again, not spectacular for the price. You are definitely paying for "an atmosphere" there. However, this is your honeymoon and a splurge is always in order on such an ocassion.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM

TML

Brentwood Bay Lodge is quite beautiful and if u want to be a short distance out of town it is more accessible than Sooke Harbour House. If thaey have kayaks for u , u could actually kayak from there to Butchart Gardens. There is music most evening at Butchart and fireworks on Saturday, My husband is a part time singer and he and friends r doing "Forever Plaid" at the thetre at Butchart 6 nights in July. plug plug.

Kayaks can also be rented from Ocean River Sposrts etc, on the Gorge just above the Johnson Street Bridge in town. There is great lake swim at multiple spots w/i a half hour of town

Lots of good clubs and pubs downrtown w/ a variety of music
Botanical Beach about 2 hours up the west coast from Victoria is a great spot w/ hundreds of pot holes at low tide

congrats to u

cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Andrewdavid - I certainly recommend visitors (and locals) to see Forever Plaid. I loved it. I saw it quite a few years ago downtown at one of the playhouses (can't remember which) and it was one of the best productions I have ever seen. It is worth another trip to Butchart to see it. Thanks for letting me know.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM

traveller69,
i'll let Tim and the rest of the Plaids know they have an online fan. thanks
AndrewDavid
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM

AndrewDavid - which nights is your husband going to be performing? If it fits our schedule I am going to be sure to see it.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:15 AM

traveller69

i know it is 6 evenings in July but the final dates have not been set. I'll post when i know what they r or u could check at

http://www.butchartgardens.com/enter...-calendar.html

he plays "Sparky" if u want to say hello to him

cheers
AndrewDavid

all the entertainment at the Gardens in the Summer is good and included in ur admission ticket
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM

Thanks I will look forward to that. WE won't be back in Victoria until the 17th of July so hopefully it will be after that. For anyone reading this - Forever Plaid is a must - just excellent music and a lot of laughs. (and I didn't get paid to say so!!)
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 04:53 PM

Having stayed in countless boutique, luxury hotels, I'm a little jaded, but I'd say that the Wickaninnish is one of the best places (in terms of setting, lodging, and service) that I've ever stayed. So, while it's definitely not a place to visit on a tight budget, it would be a very memorable place to stay for your honeymoon.

Compare a night there to a night at a five star hotel in big-city Europe. and I actually think it represents very good value.

Yes the location and views are perfect, but so is everything else...I guess you get what you pay for. In this case it means original artwork, plenty of original furnishings, views (from your bathtub, shower, bathroom, balcony, bed, sitting area etc.) excellent cuisine, and a remarkable staff who seem discrete and enthusiastic in equal measure. Meals at the "Wick" are excellent and the concierges can organize anything that can be dreamed up.

NWWanderer's recommendation of the Middle Beach Lodge as a alternative is a good one also.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 05:25 PM

traveller69, that's ok; Tim's in it and he barely gets paid!!

cheers and congrats
AndrewDavid