Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

getting to Tofino from either Vancouver or Victoria?

Apr 30th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi all

I've decided to visit Tofino, having heard so many nice things about it. I'll be in Vancouver three nights (Pan Pacific hotel, harbor view, sweet!) and then can either go to Victoria for a night, pick up a car and head to Tofino two nights and then back to Victoria... or go to Tofino the most directly.

I did hear the ferry ride from Vancouver to Victoria was the most beautiful which is why I was tempted to do it that way but I am thinking now it may be better overall to go from Vancouver straight to Tofino and not backtrack so much.

thoughts? should I even eschew the ferry and just fly to Tofino from Vancouver? the ferry and car trip (stop in Nanaimo) would likely be a good part of one day I bet.
Apr 30th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Sailing time from Vancouver (Horseshoe Bay) to Nanaimo is usually about one and a half hours. You have to add time for boarding and disembarking, and should arrive at least half an hour before departure, more in the summer when there's lots of traffic (reservations are a good idea), so add an extra hour just for all that.
Apr 30th, 2005, 04:37 PM

I'm getting mixed up. How many days in total are you spending on the island? And now that you're going to Vancouver first, will your pilot friend be flying you back to Seattle from Victoria?
Apr 30th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

5 days on Vancouver Island. I think, so far, it will be two in Tofino and 3 in Victoria. Not sure yet about flying me back from Victoria, I haven't asked him.

I've changed my mind a dozen times in working my itinerary, I don't blame you for being confused - it's an organic work in progress. I'll understand it once it's all out on paper.
May 1st, 2005, 09:21 AM

We were very happy with our itinerary: after a couple of nights in Vancouver, we ferried from Vancouver to Victoria and spent the rest of that day in Victoria. I think we caught a ferry around 9 and were in Victoria in time for a late lunch. There are good recommendations on this forum about making reservations for your ferry ride which gives you more control over your schedule. Late that afternoon we drove 30 miles west to a delightful (but expensive!) inn called Sooke Harbour House. Got there in time for dinner and stayed for two nights. It's definitely the prettiest rooms we've ever stayed in with a walkout patio onto their lush garden, overlooking the ocean. There were many nice choices of hotels in Victoria if you want to spend your two nights there instead; in general we prefer the shore to a town. Our third day we drove to Tofino (four hours or so?) and spent four nights there.... but three would have been fine if that's all you have. We stayed at Long Beach Lodge. We loved it there too --- pretty room with balcony, nice walking beach. It's a beautiful, interesting drive so I wouldn't choose to fly. If you want to kayak I highly recommend the Broken Island day trip, it's great for any skill level and a much more interesting area to see than around the mainland.
May 1st, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the info!

I am fairly sure I am going to fly from Vancouver to Tofino and then on to Victoria. The flight is only 30-40 minutes and is low enough for general sightseeing (not very low, there are mountains after all but the charter operator told me it was a very pretty flight).

thank you again!
May 1st, 2005, 12:46 PM

Sounds good to me. How will you get to Victoria - rental car?
May 1st, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi!

I had thought of that, but the dropoff surcharge in Victoria (versus leaving it in Tofino) was 300 CAD! the entire 4-5 day rental was less than that!

so far it's looking like a car in Tofino, and flying from Tofino to Victoria. Craig Air does the Vancouver/Tofino/Victoria hop every day (in fact, it appears to be their only routes) which is perfect. 145 CAD for each leg (290 total). Yes, a bit pricier than if I drove myself, or, did the Tofino bus, but since my stay on VI is only 5 days I didn't want to muck around with a 6 hour drive, 2 days apart. The flights are 30-40 minutes each. can't beat that with a stick!

not sure yet about a car in Victoria. I will be there only 3 nights, not even 3 full days (Wed afternoon-Sat morning) so I figure my island day (Salt Springs?) I may not need a car (I hope?) and the other full day I think I can find ways to occupy myself without needing to drive myself there - especially if I stay in/near town.

I did look into taking 1-2 flying 'lessons' while I am out there, and the Victoria airport presumably I can get to on public transport.. if it starts to look like public transport is a hassle I may just get a car in Victoria too.
May 1st, 2005, 06:13 PM

It would be so much easier to drive to the airport. (Just so you know - if you're thinking of going to the Flying Club, it's not right by the terminal.) You could do that and Butchart Gardens on the same day since they're not that far apart.