Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vacouver - only there for half a day - suggestions?

Nov 19th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

I'll be on an Alaskan cruise but staying overnight in Vancouver. I have no knowledge of this area - I've looked on this website but cannot determine....if you have one (half) day and night...what would you do in Vancouver....we love whales...we'll be there July 25. Can someone help me????
Nov 19th, 2004, 10:20 AM

The cruise ship docks at the Pan Pacific Hotel at the foot of Granville which is Vancouver's major north/south streets which can take you to highway the the airport and the USA via Highway 99.

With only a half day, I'd stay in the down town core which is compact and very walkable with good bus services for Georgia, Denman, Robson and Davie streets.

In the day time, I'd head to Stanley Park, walk part ways around the sea wall and visit the Vancouver Acquarium http://www.vanaqua.org/home/ They have an adopt an orca programme.

After Stanley Park, I'd explore Gastown (which starts on Water next to the Pan Pacific), Chinatown and Robson Street. If there is time left over, I'd take a cab and visit Yaletown and Granville Island areas.

There is a French restaurant Lumierre at 2551 West Broadway which has had excellent reviews by the New York Times and is on my list of "to do" when in Vancouver
(http://www.lumiere.ca/)
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Whenever I visit a city for only a short while I try and find a tour that will give you the highlights. Although I haven't been on it, check out http://www.bcpassport.com/bus/. Sounds like it gives you a good overview without being too long. Then if you have more time you can explore areas you particularly liked.
Nov 21st, 2004, 09:14 AM

I agree with Stanley Park. It's beautiful. A walk along the seawall will provide you with some very good scenery. I'd recommend Dim Sum at Kirin (W. Georgia) very near the Park. We're from SF and the dim sum at this particular Kirn(there are many in Vancouver) was excellent.
Nov 21st, 2004, 09:16 AM

Depending on what the "scene" is you might enjoy for diner, I really liked Vij's for innovative Indian food.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:59 AM

You are in for a treat, just walking around that area is fun, I also say Stanley Park....you can hop on a Grayline Red double decker bus too and get off and on wherever you wish throughout the city, and get a neat tour...