"ttt" or "to the top"

May 9th, 2002, 12:18 PM
david

"ttt" or "to the top"

As an infrequent user-contributor respecting Fodor's travel-talk, I notice this phrase or these letters posted in replies, both in the Canadian and American sites. Can anyone enlighten me as to their meaning? Are they supposed to be helpful, insulting, smart-ass? Thanks.

May 9th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Don

If you reply to a post, it gets moved to the top of the list, thereby becoming more noticeable.

If a question has remained unanswered so long that it gets buried in the list of questions, it often doesn't get the attention it might deserve. So someone (sometimes the original poster, sometimes another well-meaning person) will reply with just "ttt" or "to the top" to move it to the top of the list so that more people see it and, hopefully, will respond to it.

Alternatively, sometimes someone will ask a question that's been asked and answered (at length) before. So someone else will find the previous question and "ttt" or "to the top" so that the person who's currently asking the question will be able to read the previous question and responses--thereby getting the answers they were looking for.

Artemis

This site is set up so that the most recent posts, or those with the most recent replies get listed first. So, if there's a topic that has been "buried" because it doesn't have any recent replies, the original poster (or someone else who is interested) will type "ttf" to move it back up the queue.

A similar thing is to type "bump," as in "bump it to the top."

Artemis

Hey Don: snap!

May 9th, 2002, 12:28 PM
JD

They mean "to the top" :it's a way to get previous posts back to the beginning of the list, either to try to get more answers or to bring up something someone else might have trouble finding.

It looks like someone is bringing up all the Montreal Hotel posts. Not a bad idea really. This is one of the most common questions here and I've often felt that people don't do (or don't know how to do)a simple search before posting a question that might have been answered before!

May 9th, 2002, 12:57 PM
david

Thanks, Don, Artemis, JD. I am now perfectly informed, and I'm grateful.

Search this Thread