Search

Travelling from Edmonton to Vancouver - via Jasper

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling from Edmonton to Vancouver - via Jasper

Hi,
I am planning a trip from edmonton to vancouver on this coming july, via Jasper.
I will be staying in Kamploops, then will continue my journey to vancouver next day.
Want to know whether i need to purchase, one day national park pass, since i am passing through Jasper.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 04:11 AM
ltt

if you don't stop at all in the national park, then you don't have to buy a pass and can drive through the "pass" lane at park gate. but that means, no stopping for gas, washroom break...anything.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

tnx for the info..
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 11:09 AM

If I remember correctly, Parks Canada issued an updated notice this year and you can stop for gas without a parks pass. But only for gas, and even then stopping in Jasper townsite would probably be considered a visit no matter what.

To get from Edmonton to Vancouver via Jasper, you'd be driving on the Yellowhead/16. You'd have to explain at the east gates that you were going straight through. Then no stopping at pullovers to rest/take photos/see the wildlife, no stopping in Jasper and no venturing anywhere but Hwy 16.

Given that it's a very scenic route, I think it's worth the $9 (or $19 if you have more than one person) to be able to stop in Jasper and if you want to take a few photos or stretch your legs.

Note that Edmonton to Kamloops is a goo 9hr drive with NO stops, no traffic and no construction. In July, you almost certainly will find it slow going between the east gates and Jasper townsite because of all the traffic and tourists on the road. You will be going 60-90 kph or even much slower while you are in the park. So it's going to be a long day. For safety and sanity, you might want to consider a night in Jasper or in Valemount. Or if price is an issue, in Hinton.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Tnx for the detailed information.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 09:28 PM
ltt

another place you could stop for the night would be clearwater, bc. staying in hinton or jasper would not be a consideration for me as it's only a few hours into your journey and jasper is very expensive.