Forest Fires

Sep 4th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Forest Fires

We are flying from the UK to Calgary on Spetember 20th and driving an RV across the Rockies and into BC. We are then driving on to Vancouver.

Information about the fires is hard to find over here other than occasional items on the news and what I can find online.

How bad are the fires now?
Is there still smoke in Calgary? What about Banff?
And what would be our best route to Vancouver in order to stay away from the fire areas? I have 2 routes in mind, the first is up to Jasper then across to Kamloops and over to Whistler. The other is to cut across from Banff to Golden and Vancouver.
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:54 AM

While there are still fires burning, the worst of the problem is hopefully over - although the fire near Kelowna did rear up again yesterday forcing some more evacuations. I drove through the Kamloops during the worst of their fire and there was no smoke down near the highway and visibility was fine. Calgary still has some smoke every once and awhile - it really depends on which way the wind is blowing. As far as which route to take, it depends on what you want to see. I've never taken the Jasper/Kamloops/Whistler route so can't speak to that. Banff/Golden/Vancouver is full of great scenery. Don't worry about the fires at all - just come and enjoy our great country.
Sep 4th, 2003, 07:40 AM

How much time do you have SimonA??

If possible, don't miss the gorgeous drive from Banff to Jasper, the Icefield Parkway.

Cruiseryyc is right, the Banff-Golden-Revelstoke (Roger's Pass)-Kamploops route is very scenic, much more scenic than Jasper to Kamloops.
But if you want to see the Icefield Parkway and after that to drive to Vancouver through Golden and Revelstoke, you'll have to double back from Jasper to Lake Louise. . .
OR - you could drive from Calgary to Edmonton, spend a day there, then drive to Jasper.
Personally I think that driving the Icefield Parkway from Jasper to Banff is the "best" way to see it, as the scenery gets more spectacular the further south you drive, and you have a better view of the glaciers facing south.

Come and enjoy our wonderful mountain wilderness!!

For current stories about the fires, check the British Columbia provincial forestry ministry website on line at:
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/pScripts/Pr....asp?Page=News

or with one of many Canadian news services (do a Google search).

Have a lovely vacation!!
Sep 4th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

"How much time do you have SimonA??"

We have 2 weeks to get from Calgary to Vancouver.

Thank you for the replies.
Sep 4th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Oh! Two weeks is plenty of time for a nice relaxing trip from Calgary to Vancouver.

In that case, my recommendation for your route would be:
Calgary - Banff
Banff - Jasper
Jasper - Lake Louise - Golden - Revelstoke
Revestoke - Kamloops
Kamloops to Vancouver (your choice of several routes: the Coquihalla Highway is fastest but not so interesting; the Trans Canada is more scenic but is much longer and may an "exciting" drive with a large RV !!).

Bon Voyage!!