travel to vancouver and Whistler

Mar 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

travel to vancouver and Whistler

I am a wheelchair user but can walk short distance with crutches. I will be travelling to Vancouver with my husband on 20 May night staying Club Intrawest till 24 may. We will proceed to Whistler till may 30 fhan proceeding to take cruise to Alaska. Ths will be my irst time travel to this part of the world. Can u please help me with an itinerary. I thought of renting a car to travel to Whistler. Are local buses suitable for wheel chair users. Are cars needed at Whislter?We would be stayig at RVC Whiski jack at woodrun. How's the weather at this time of the year. Thanks.
Mar 30th, 2009, 10:16 AM
ALF

There are several buses that go to Whistler, but they all seem to be the standard type that require several steps to get in. There are also taxis and towncars that you can hire to take you there. Lastly, you can easily rent a car. It is about 1.5-2 hrs from Vancouver to Whistler, and much of it is very scenic.

We have stayed at the Woodrun, and it is quite nice, particularly for skiers, because it is right next to a ski slope. It is not a far walk to the main village, but to get there via a decent wheelchair-accessible path would be kind of long (half-mile?). It might be nice to have a car to drive from Woodrun down to the main village. There is a shuttle bus that will take you from there to the village. Don't know how wheelchair-friendly those buses are.

Once in the main village, you don't really need a car. The village is quite compact, probably 10-12 blocks from end-to-end. The promenade surface is brick, which is probably harder to roll on than asphalt or cement. It should probably be fine if you are being pushed, but I don't think that I would want to wheel myself along for any great distance. We have worked with disabled skiers who say that it is doable but not easy to wheel themselves several blocks.

I'd recommend taking the Whistler Gondola up Whistler Mtn. It is pretty easy to board and there is room for a wheelchair. From there, you can decide if you want to take the Peak-to-Peak gondola, which runs between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. This is quite a spectacular trip!
Mar 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ALF, we will definitely get a car from Vancouver and also take the Gondolo.
Apr 6th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Is it hard to rent a car in vancouver and drive to whistler? We are staying in downtown.
Apr 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Aristokat - I noticed your other post that your staying at the Bayshore? I would do a Google search on car rentals/vancouver to get a listing. We have all the various car rental agencies, and quite a few of them have locations in downtown. The Bayshore might also have a preferred car rental agency they use.
Apr 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks camelbak! I'll def check that out.

Search this Thread