Travel in November

Search

Travel in November

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel in November

I'm thinking of making a four or five day visit just before Thanksgiving. Am I crazy to go at that time of the year?
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Where to?????
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Good question! Nova Scotia and possible Cape Breton.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:09 PM
wow

So...you're talking about the week of Nov 22??
While you are not "crazy" to go @ that time of year, it is certainly not the best time to visit NS/CB!! It will be cold & the days are short by then. Nov in NS is generally pretty dull. Why not wait & go sometime b/t June & October if that is an option? Early Sept to mid-October is beautiful in Nova Scotia. I was there Canadian Thanksgiving (Oct 11). Temps were n the low 70's, the leaves were gorgeous.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:43 PM

Giovana, I think wow summed it up perfectly. You will find a few mild days in November but it is often cold, overcast, wet, and windy. Alot of the tourist accomodations will be closed for the season, although hotels and motels that cater to business travelers will still be open.

However, if you're a hardy soul, there will be bracing walks along deserted beaches, museums to poke around in, and little traffic.

Anselm

PS ... l usually put my winter tires on in early December.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 01:40 AM

Plus you will probably face snow in the Highlands of Cape Breton!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:15 AM

I went for a week-long road trip from RI to Nova Scotia (including Cape Breton) in late November, 2002. You're not crazy at all, as its wonderful to be on the road - empty and quiet.

It was cool and very windy most of the time; some shops and restaurants are closed, but not as bad as in Maine. I think most Nova Scotians do stay around year-round, like people in Maine who closes up shop after Columbus Day. But Lunenburg and other historical sites are indeed closed for the year.

No snow at all, but part of the Cabot Trail was a little icy in the shade, probably due to freezing drizzle at night. But the road was super empty - and that was the best public-road driving I've ever had in N. America.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:34 AM
wow

rkkwan: Did you mean Louisbourg when you said Lunenburg???
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's responses. I was in Nova Scotia in late June and fell in love with it. Unfortunately I couldn't get back there any earlier than late Nov. I'm toying with the idea of buying a small cottage. Anyone have any leads on a good real estate broker??
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 10:11 AM

wow - Thanks. I do mean Louisbourg.

I've also stopped at other historical sites in NB and NS during my road trip. Most are not open, but you can go wander the grounds. But not Louisbourg - as the road leading to it is blocked off. One can only see the buildings from a few miles away.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM

My father always visited the highlands in late Oct/Nov and snow was a factor. Today is Oct 26th and the weather advisory is saying snow flurries for northeatern Nova Scotia which encompasses Amherst to Antigonish. Although unusual for the last few years, not unlikely with past weather history. October 31st, Halloween, I have seen a snow storm!

Your best time to visit would be late September when the weather is cooler and the leaves starting to turn.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Today is Nov 10th and we rec'd approximately 2 inches of snow (New Glasgow area). Not sure what Cape Breton received but no doubt the Highlands got snowed on as well! Driving was tricky in the early morning hours before the sun and salt trucks arrived on the scene!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 05:34 AM

As of todays date Ingonish has recieved 35cm of snow on one night cheticamp would be about the same anyone traveling down here this time of the year has to take some precautions ask a local about the weather before going anywhere believe me the weather can change so fast in the highland with out notice so be careful.