Has anyone stayed at these hotels?

Nov 9th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at these hotels?

My husband and I are heading to Vancouver in April next year and hiring a car and travelling around. We are planning on staying in inexpensive accommodation in most places and splurging in a couple of places along the way such as the Fairmont Banff Springs. I have read lots of posts on medium priced hotels on this site but not much on cheap hotels, has anyone stayed in any of the following places, or can you recommend a better option for a similar price:
Howard Johnson Hotel, Vanouver
Ramada Huntingdon, Victoria
Best Western, Kelowna
Pocahontis Cabins, Jasper
Mountaineer Lodge, Lake Louise
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:35 PM

Hello Hills,

I don't know most of the properties you've mentioned.

Pocahontas Cabins are not in a convenient location in my opinion. They are near the east gate of Jasper National Park, and far from Jasper townsite. You'd be better off finding something in or near Jasper townsite.

Look at what Laurafromtexas had to say about Crayston Home Accommodation in Jasper townsite:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...9&tid=34521144

It's none of my business, I guess, but I don't think the Banff Springs Hotel is worth the price. I consider all of the Fairmont properties in the Canadian Rockies to be overpriced. That's just my subjective opinion. I'm sure there will be several who will disagree with me.

In my estimation, you could have a delightful splurge at Buffalo Mountain Lodge for considerably less money.

Hope this helps.
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback, that is just the sort of info I am looking for.
Nov 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM

I've stayed at the Huntingdon Inn in Victoria for work purposes, and quite liked it - in fact I went back once on a pleasure trip. It has a good location just off the harbour and parking underneath. I've had a couple of nice rooms there and one not so great.
The Hojo in Vancouver is not in the nicest location. It's right downtown, but in a bit of a gritty area, on Granville. There are coffee shops around, but also some slightly seedy looking bars and lots of nightclubs. I think it's around 100Cdn per night, so I'll suggest some others that are kind of in the same price range... you'd have to verify.
Try checking on tripadvisor.com to see how these seem.
The Sylvia, which is a historic hotel right on English Bay. Great location.
Georgian Court hotel - sort of a "boutique" hotel, across from BC Place stadium, not right in the thick of downtown, but Robson Street shopping is about a 10 minute walk. We've put people up here for work before - it's close to my employers.
Hampton Inn & Suites - next to the Georgian Court. Newer "suite" hotel.
Hotel Georgia (it's a Crowne Plaza) - older hotel right across from the Art Gallery and next to the Pacific Centre Mall, and a block away from shopping on Robson St.
Blue Horizon - on Robson - great location.

The other thing to consider is whether you will have the car in Vancouver (so parking will cost you extra) or if you'll be picking it up when you leave to travel around.

Just a further note to what Judy wrote about the Fairmont properties.... I grew up staying in these hotels all across Canada so I have a kind of bias toward them, and love their atmosphere. However, they are pricey, and they are old - with generally very small bathrooms.
Nov 10th, 2004, 08:19 PM
BAK

I would be very cautious about any Howard Johnson hotel in Canada.

BAK
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:40 PM

I have stayed at the Huntingdon Manor in Victoria and agree with the previous post. It is ok. BUT, for the same price I would highly recommend the Royal Scot, whiich is just down the street from the Huntingdon. Same location, much nicer rooms and service.
Also, I strongly agree with Judy in Calgary re: the Fairmont Banff Springs. Beautiful hotel, beautiful location, lobby etc, but the rooms are an overpriced ripoff. I agree with her entirely on the Buffalo Mountain Lodge- lovely place, much better value (book one of the suites with the fireplaces if you want to splurge). But go have a drink at the Banff Springs Anyway, just to see the place. The lounge near the lobbey (cant remember the name) is one of the finest places anywhere to have a drink.
Nov 19th, 2004, 02:18 PM

I agree with all Taggie's comments on hotels in Vancouver.

I'd stay away from the Howard Johnson. It's not downright bad, but there are far better choices. My own favourites are the Sylvia and the Hotel Georgia (Crowne Plaza), perhaps with a slight nod to the Sylvia just because I'm a light sleeper and downtown traffic noise could be a problem with the Hotel Georgia. Still, both are fine hotels.

Let us know what you decide...I'm curious.