Train to Montreal from Toronto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be flying in to Toronto and then wanted to drive to Montreal. However, we also enjoy train travel. Any recommendations/suggestions as to car versus train?

Thanks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM

Via 1, the first class service, is very pleasant. First class lounge before you leave and meals and drinks at your reserved seat. I've taken it to both Montreal and Ottawa. www.viarail.ca
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
hdm

It's not a particularly interesting drive and it's a very nice train trip, and will take you from downtown Toronto to downtown Montreal. You don't need a car in either city. Definitely take the train.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
BAK

I used to commute from Toronto to Montreal.

I wore out my car, and started taking the train, and had no regrets.

But, in part, it depends onhow much you liek to drive, and how long you're willing to take. A visit to Prince Edward County, and then a couple of hours inKingston, plus a visit to see ships in the locks of the St. Lawrence Seaway, and maybe a Thousand islands boat cruise... lots to be said for drive from Toronto to Montreal.

And, if you have to come back to Toronto, you can drive through Ottawa, and, depending on the time of year, it's then a nice drive back along highway 7 and vacation country.

I found VIA 1, the first class service on the train, a waste of money. Economy arrives at the same time, and the seats are just as comfortable. VIA 1 has computer plugs, and a meal that turns out to cost quite a bit. Depending on your timing, the meal is either decent value, or just silly.

Car in Montreal? Lots to do without one, but even more to do with one. In my case, there was a car there waiting for me, so the train was not a disadvantage.

If you are returning from Montreal to Toronto, make sureyou get lots of snack stuff fromt he station in Montreal. Excellent selections, and better than on the train.

Going from Toronto to Montreal, the train snack selection is not as good. Go to the GO Train part of the station if you want snacks for the trip. Wider selection than in the VIA Rail part of the station, and only two minutes away by foot.

BAK

BAK

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:15 AM

The Via 1 is offering $149 one way.

The service is good. But when you get there at the same time as economy you wonder about the hefty price for food if its out of your own pocket .

Via 1 the seats are more comfortable and more leg room ... but then if you take the express 4.5hrs flies by when you take a snooze.

I think a ticket for economy is about $170 plus return.

Yes, the selection to buy on the train is not very good. Best to buy your food at the train station!!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:23 AM
hdm

It's not such a long trip and economy is fine. If you want to sight-see along the way, yes, there are lots of nice spots but (for some reason) I got the impression you wanted to go directly from Toronto to Montreal.

I was in Montreal recently and had no problem walking from Old Montreal to downtown and basically everywhere I wanted to go, but then I like to walk. I took a cab once. It's always my thinking that you can buy a lot of cab rides for the money it would cost you to park in a hotel parking lot and you never have to think about driving, finding an address or parking.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
wow

I have to jump in here to say that I think the extra $$ for VIA1 is definitely worth it! I love the bigger seats & the last time we took VIA1 to Ottawa from Toronto the food was great! The wine was pretty good too! In all, it was a very relaxing and enjoyable train trip.