Montreal & Toronto

Jul 8th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Montreal & Toronto

Can you help - what would be the cheapest and easiest way to get from Montreal to Toronto?

We will be staying at both places for 3 nights each, we would also like to visit Quebec whilst in Montreal and Niagara whilst in Toronto, so best ways of getting to these places would also be useful.

Thanks ever so much for your help!

xx
Jul 8th, 2003, 09:08 AM
BAK

The best and the cheapest trip from Montreal to Toronto are different.

Cheapest is by bus; best probably is by Via Rail train. If you book about a week in advance, there are significant discounts.

In Toronto, probably the best / cheapest way to see Niagrara Falls (the city, and the falls themselves) and the nearby town of Niagara on the Lake is to rent a car and drive.

In broad figures, renting the car will cost about the same as one person taking an organized tour, so for two people, you'll save a fair bit of money, which you can spend on The Maid of the Mist boat, a good meal, etc.

If it was me, I'd take the train from Montreal to Quebec City, but going to and from QC in one day, while having lots of time to enjoy QC, is a bit much.

BAK
Jul 8th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Andree

Bus (motorcoach) is the cheapest way to travel between these cities. Niagara is fairly close to Toronto, but time to get there depends on traffic to get out of the city! If you want to visit Quebec City, it`s about 2.5 hours from Montreal. Have fun!

Jul 9th, 2003, 04:03 AM

It's worth it to spend the few extra dollars and take the train between T.O. and Montreal. It's an infinitely more pleasurable experience.
Jul 9th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Few years ago I flew to Montreal, took train to Toronto, flew home out of Toronto. I'm glad I did that, the scenery was nice, and the train service is a bit different from USA trains. Do it for experience, even if you're losing time.
Jul 10th, 2003, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this info.

If we wanted to hire a car and drive from Toronto to Niagara, could we hire a car for the day? Is this possible, and if so, where can we hire from?

Thanks
xx
Jul 10th, 2003, 08:17 AM
BAK

Yes, you can hire a car for only a day, assumingy ou have credit cards, drivers license, are the right age (often there's a limit of, I think, 25)

Avis, Hertz, National, and all the otehr internationa chains are in Toronto. There are many rental offices in the downtown core of the city, and your hotel should be able to tell you which is closest.

You may have to keep the car overnight, and return it the next morning, if you return to the city after the rental office is closed.

Find out if you can park the car in the rental company lot, for free, overnight, and then come back in person in the morning to finish the paperwork.
Some renatl companies have afterhours drop offs when you just fill out papers and shove the papers and keys through a slot in the door.

BAK