Train from Seattle to Vancouver

Aug 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Train from Seattle to Vancouver

Has anyone taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver? Once I get to Vancouver, I'm planning on stay 2-3 days then take the ferry to Victoria for a day or 2 then head back to Seattle. Any recommendations for someone traveling solo?
Aug 26th, 2005, 04:04 PM

I'm not trying to be critical - I just don't understand if there's a question in there somewhere. I have taken the train between Seattle and Vancouver a number of times. What would you like to know?
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

I was just curious what it was like. I'm changing my trip so I won't be taking the train. Sorry for the confusion.
Sep 1st, 2005, 08:56 AM
ALF

Not to be critical, but, has anyone ever seen a sentence start with these words that did not end in a criticism (including this one)?
Sep 1st, 2005, 03:32 PM

I'm sorry you thought I was being critical, Alf. Since I had been on the trip a number of times, I thought I might have some useful information for the original poster but I honestly could not discern a question in his/her post other than had anyone taken that trip.
Sep 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM

OK, if we're done playing now, let me ask something. What train? I didn't think there was a train between Seattle and Vancouver. What train have you taken between the two cities a number of times, dwooddon? Is this something new?
Sep 1st, 2005, 06:57 PM

There is one train that leaves Seattle early morning for Vancouver. It's with Amtrak. There's a return train, leaving Vancouver in the evening returning to Seattle at night. This train travels along the coast for the most part, so I've heard, and so I've seen when I've Google-mapped the actual train route (following it by manually clicking along on an online map). It would therefore be more scenic than, say, driving... which would take you along the I-5 somewhat inland through suburbs and farmland.

The downside to the train is that there's only one, so if you miss it, but still book a trip with Amtrak, they'll put you on the Amtrak bus.

The other downside is that if you're in Vancouver, hoping to do a daytrip to Seattle by train, you'd have to make 2 overnights to do this, as there's no morning train bound for Seattle... only an evening train, so, it really just favours people in Seattle going to Vancouver for the day.

I haven't taken the train, but it seems like it takes the exact same time it takes to drive between the two cities. I'd say take the train if it fits in your schedule, but if it doesn't, take something like Quick Shuttle. And if you must, drive.

Sep 1st, 2005, 09:31 PM
ALF

Its a much nicer train than the typical Amtrak rolling stock. The cars are made by Talgo, a Spanish company, and they tilt around curves, making for a much smoother ride. It is true that you really cannot use the train for a day trip. Here's the schedule: www.amtrak.com/timetable/apr05/W32.pdf

A good 2-3 day trip would be to take the train from SEA to VAN, then a ferry to VIC, then the Victoria Clipper boat back to SEA.
Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:05 AM

Carmanah's information is correct, except for the coastal part. It travels along the coast for a good part of its BC route and for some of its Washingtin route but much of it is inland. It is still beautiful, rolling farm country and a pleasure to travel in the daytime. The return from Vancouver is in the dark during the winter.

One word of advice. On this route, spring for the few extra dollars and purchase a business class ticket. The extra comfort in the business class is marginal but in Vancouver, you get to exit first on arrival and board first on departure. That gets you through Canadian Immigration and US Customs inspections without having to face the long lines with the rest of the train's passengers.