Toronto - which Priceline area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Toronto for a couple of days in September. I currently have a reservation at the Days Inn on Carlton, but am considering a bid on Priceline. Thought I might be able to get a nicer place at a better price. My rate at Days Inn is $109 Canadian.

In looking at the Priceline zones I'm not sure which area would be best to bid in. My thoughts other than downtown are Toronto East or West, but not sure which area is most desirable. I've read reviews on Better Bidding and Bidding for Travel, but there are no winning bids posted for that far out. We will have a car. We would like to be near public transporation. The places we are considering to visit are Casa Loma, Chinatown, the zoo, and a harbor cruise. We also enjoy walking through historic neighborhoods and my daughter loves to shop.

Trying to decide whether to keep my Days Inn reservation or bid on Priceline. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:23 AM
BAK

I don't know Priceline's geographic splits, but I'd be worried about anything east or west. Downtown is the place to stay.

You can walk to a lot of great places rom the Days Inn on Carlton (be careful about other Days Inn locatios) and the subway is right next door, too.

BAK
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Toronto-East and Toronto-West are rather far out of the downtown core (where most sightseeing is located). I wouldn't recommend either. Just stick with downtown.

But if you really wanted to consider one or the other as part of an alternative bid:

1) Toronto East seems to include the Beaches area (which is a lovely area to live), but the only hotel I'm aware of is a Days Inn near Kingston Road. Probably not the classiest hotel in town, but maybe you can get something really cheap. Currently, they've been tearing up the street to improve the streetcar tracks but that work should be completed by September. The Beaches are lovely to visit, but don't really have any sights to see.

2) Toronto West is very far west, close to some pretty neighbourhoods, but also close to freeways and some rougher neighbourhoods. However, this could be a good option if your trip to Toronto includes a visit to Niagara Falls or to Niagara-on-the-Lake (theatre festival and wine country), since you'll be part way to this area already be staying in Toronto West.

3) One option to consider might be Don Valley. There is one very good hotel in this area (the Westin Prince Hotel), so you might be able to get a 4-5* property at a good price. I also think there might be an assortment of 2-3*s, which will be a dodgier option.

All things considered though, I'd stick to Toronto downtown and just vary by changing your star level.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:15 PM

I agree with teh other posters. I definately would not go for Toronto East or West.
If you really wanted to go for another area, my choice would be Don Valley.
Depending on where you would end up in this area, you are close to the Don Valley Parkway to drive downtown. And you would also be close to Yonge and Eglinton to take the subway downtown.
You'd also be closer to the 401 for driving to the zoo.

But downtown would probably be the best.
Good luck.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I will keep the Days Inn reservation. I might try Priceline for the downtown area, depending on what information is available when our trip draws near. I appreciate all of your suggestions.