Search

Toronto~Rogers Center area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto~Rogers Center area

Hello all,

We are traveling to Toronto (April) to see a Blue Jay game at Rogers Center. We are also staying at the Renaissance downtown hotel by (at) the center.

1.) any little gems nearby: restaurants, diners, quick food stops, any local specialties?

2.) what is a "must do" in the area ~by walking? other than CN tower and Hockey hall of fame. (we will be doing both)

3.) any tidbits you are willing to share for a family of four (kids are 11 and 13) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help
Viv
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Theres a Hard Rock Cafe in the Hotel, just a short walk to Wayne Gretzkys... two or three blocks to the entertainment district where you will find more fun and some shopping on Queen St w... You are also a few blocks from the waterfront and that can be fun if the weather stays nice... have fun!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

garyT22,
Thank you for the info. The kids might like the Hard Rock Cafe. I have only been to one in Denmark. Going to the waterfront sounds like fun. Are there ferry rides running in April? Since I am the solo shopper on this trip.. I don't think I will make it to Queen St. (I spent 6 days in NYC and never made it to one store..other than ESPN, FAO Swartz, Toys R US and the gift shop at Yankee Stadium!~ seriously...)

thanks again
Viv
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM

vivian_2009,

Since you're doing the Hockey Hall of Fame, venturing a little further east along Front Street would be well-advised. You have a raft of small stores and restaurants along there (including C'est What if anybody's into microbrews) that're well worth checking out. West of the Skydome (sorry but I can't bring myself to call it the Rogers Centre) along King Street, there's also more worthwhile restaurants waiting. The ferries will be running and given the Spring we've had, time over on the Islands (formerly a peninsula from the Don River) might be quite nice although likely coolish. Depending on your schedule, the weather and your predilections, a walk north on Yonge Street might be in order.

HTH
K
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Knickerbocker for your help. I really like all your ideas.
by the way...
Sorry if I was disrespectful for calling the Skydome the Rogers Center. I really have only been a baseball fan since my kids started playing and dragging me to games. (so names and things are new to me.)

Viv
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:13 PM

Yes,the ferries to the Toronto Islands are running all year round. Depending on when you come to Toronto, you'll be dealing with the winter or the spring schedules. Here's a link to the schedule effective April 17th:

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/springschedule.htm

It's also a good idea to phone and check as sometimes the schedule varies.

The islands are a wonderful destination for a wander and also give you a great view of the Toronto skyline.

Have a great trip!

CanadaKate
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

CanadaKate, Thank you for the link.. yes we will be there shortly after April 17th so this gives me a great starting point. I love to take pictures. (probably too many) and that was my hope ~ to take a picture of the Toronto skyline.

I am looking forward to going and seeing all I can. (wish I had more than 4 full days!)
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 04:50 AM

A good food stop and local gem is the St. Lawrence Market maybe a 15-20 minute walk from your hotel. Particularly bustling on Saturdays (but I think it may be closed on Sundays and Mondays, I'm sure you can google it). Carousel Bakery is famous for their "Canadian Peameal Bacon" sandwiches (also other sandwiches plus a variety of other food booths).

If you have enough time - even though this is a little far for walking (about 2 miles) - the Royal Ontario Museum is another Toronto gem and with their new Dinosaur Gallery among other superb exhibits, highly recommended for families.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 05:13 AM

It was named Skydome when it opened but Rogers Centre is the correct name now...knickerbocker just doesn't like it - either do I.

I thought I heard that the Hard Rock in the RC was closing?
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 05:38 AM
BAK

The kids might enjoy Chinattown, along Spadiina Aveneie, north from Queen Street.

And they might enjoy te Art Gallery of Ontari, on Dundas Stret, pretty much sraight north f the hotel.

St. Lawrence Market (already mentioned) is closed on MOndays and Sundays, but part fo the maket, on Sundays, is a antique market / flea market that might have things the kids would like to buy.

Harbourfront is intereting; ferry boats to the Islands leave from beside the WEstin Hotel, perhaps a ten minute walk from yourhotel (or a bit longe)

THERE ARE ALSO HARBOR CRUISES< WHICH COST MORE But leave from closer to the hotel, and which may or may not be operating in April.

Depending where you live, a subway ride can be fun.

Hot dgos from street vendors are good; some vendoers work from trucks, and sell french fries, too. Look on Front Street near the hotel, and on Queen Street, opposite City Hall.

Dozens of good restaurants within five minutes walk fo the hotel; I like Kit Kat on King Street West, near John Street, but you can look inside them all, and all have menus posted outside.

FOR SURE the kids will like the Royal Ontario Museum, which is a subwayride, or a streetcar ride, away. It's on Bloor Street West, at avenue Road / Queen's Park (same street, three names; it's University AVenue south of where it becomes Queen PArk Circle, which is in turn south of where it becomes AVenue Road.

Royal Ontrio Musem has newly revamped bat caves, dinosaurs, plus lots of other kid-interesting things.

Do the kids have a camera? They can make a picture collection. One suggestion is to photogrpah statues they come across. (There are cows beside between the tall black cluster of buildings at King and Bay, and elephants behind the silver building at the same corner; a whale on King Street beside the westernmost of the tall black towers, weird faces sticking out of the Rogers CEntre, railway workers in front of the hotel...

BAK
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

BAK,
Thank you so much for your reply and help! I have been looking everything up today...

Kids do not travel with cameras....I take way TOO many pictures. Kids and my husband rely on me and the three cameras I travel with.. (I know, I am eye rolling at myself right now, and I think the kids do not like cameras because of me and my "just one more" comments...) I make a lot of photo books of our adventures~ anyway your suggestions of the statues and things around the city would make great additions, I will be looking out for them.
Viv
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM

Vivian.. I just noticed that you are coming in April... too cold for some of the attractions involving water... sorry...
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gary, No worries.. I am sure we will be completely entertained and as always leaving a city feeling sad we didn't have more time.

I am looking forward to our trip and seeing what we can. It is shaping up to be a really great time... and we haven't even left yet..haha