Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto - Rochester, NY Ferry - Anybody going to use it?

Mar 16th, 2004, 09:54 AM
weenie57

Just wondered if anybody plans on using the new high speed ferry connecting Toronto with Rochester, NY, starting in May? Here is their web site http://www.catsfastferry.com/hmpg.htm

As a Rochesterian I wish to apologize for the stupid press that all this caused...and say we hope you'll come for a visit!!! I'd suggest the Rochester International Jazz Festival as a fun, short trip. Here's the web site http://www.rochesterjazz.com/

We'll be on the ferry, hopefully, to catch some baseball games this summer.

Mar 16th, 2004, 02:26 PM
BAK

We (those few in Toronto paying attention to the ferry) seem to think that more Americans will come north, and stop, than will Candians going south, and stopping. i.e. you'll come to Toronto as a destination; we'll pass through Rochester on our way to New York or Boston.

In my case, I just come come down to visit Eastman House.

In regard to the bad press. Some of us who pay attention to the media think that Jan Wong is a menance, and an irresponsible journalist, and advise our clients to avoid having anything to do with her. I believe she is an embarrassment to the Globe and Mail.

BAK

Mar 16th, 2004, 04:36 PM
weenie57

BAK: Oh yeah, I'm sure more of us will be heading up there than visa versa! I know Rochester has high hopes for tourism, but a lot of us are pretty skeptical. We do have really good (and cheap) music stuff though. Will the ferry be a good cut through to NYC or Boston? Both NYC and Boston still seem like a long drive to me. (Although we go to Boston often to see friends, we've never driven to NYC but we would if flights were more expensive.)

The Eastman House has a very nice garden in addition to all its other attractions, so plan to come when it is in bloom. Poor George, he'd roll over in his grave if he knew what is becoming of Kodak...

Mar 16th, 2004, 06:15 PM
BAK

I think it's about a three hour drive, assuming the border crossing is quick, from Toronto to Rochester, via Niagara Falls.

The ferry should cut about an hour from this, I understand, but that's only real if you happen to be leaving Toronto, or Rochester, when the ferry is.

If you have to wait an hour for the ferry departure, when you could already be driving, you don't save any time.

Toronto to New York, via Niagara, is about 10 hours, so it's a long drive, and saving an hour is no big deal, but it might be fun to take the boat, and a break from sitting behind the wheel.

I'm quite curious how many years, or months, this ferry is going to operate.

BAK
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:19 AM

I've never been to Rochester so I'll definitely be trying out the ferry this summer. To me it seems like a good way to spend a leisurely Saturday or Sunday.
Mar 17th, 2004, 08:25 AM
weenie57

We are curious about how long it's going to last too! My brother-in-law has been working on the station. It's actually pretty fancy. Yesterday on the news they were discussing potential problems with traffic (!). I thought that was pretty funny. Worse things could happen than we've got hundreds of cars and trucks all jammed up waiting to board!

Anyway, we'll try to make the trip before the end of the summer just to make sure we get a chance. I keep saying, "You can tell no one must have any of their OWN money invested in this project!" Well, hopefully I'm way wrong and it works out great.