Search

Toronto, off the beaten path

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am visiting Toronto for 5-7 days. I am searching for off-the beaten path, not-to miss opportunities. Please share your favourite T/O spots according to the following interest criteria. Thanks.

-memorable/dramatic scenery & landscape photography. Where do I find the best (viewpoints, panoramas, skylines, sunsets, etc..)?
-fall foliage (natural wonders), the outdoors, hikes/hilltops/lookouts, and amazing views...
-lovely/charming streets, magnificent architecture
-non-typical, interesting, and unique experiences (full of original character), and local only to the area. The best authentic local experiences/most unforgettable travel experiences.
-specialty/unique local cuisine
-& the best free things to do
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:13 AM

-to get great pictures take a ferry to Toronto island and you'll get a great view of the city
- Anex is an interesting area with many Victorian homes and lovely streets
-for th foliage colours best to drive out of town (north)
- visit the seat of the Provincial gov. ( Queen's Park)
- visit Bata shoe museum ( not off the beaten path , but still unique)
just a few suggestions.
When ate you visiting?

For 5-7 days you may have to rent a car and get out of town to find more of the interesting things to do.

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:08 AM
BAK

Most of the not to miss places have paths beaten to them.

Funny about that.

You might try a subway ride.

Get on the Bloor Danforth subway going west, perhaps with a day pass that lets you on and off several times for one fee.

Head west to Jane Street, and get off. Walk through the Bloor West Village area, heading east from the subway station.

You'll see an older area of Toronto full of old and young people, Polish delis, several good restaurants -- if you time it right, have breakfast at the Sunset Grill on the north side, between Windermere and Runnymeade.

KEep walking east toward downtown out of the built-up commercial area, down a hill, up the other side to High PArk.

This is a giant park, and turn into it and follow the road that curves to the right, taking you donw beside a pond (You won't see the pond for a while)

Lots of nature phto opportunities here.

Continue south out of the park, and follow the road under the highway to the Lakeshore, then turn around and come back to the streetcar tracks you just crossed, and head back toward downtown.

BAK
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM
hdm

Kensington Market
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM
LJ

I agree with everything others have said with one minor adjustment. When you take that subway ride to the west end, get off at Old Mill rather than Jane. I think it is the most beautiful subway view on the line. it warmed my heart every day for many years in all kinds of weather whenever I went by.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Also consider a run out to the Beaches area east of the main core... shops boutiques and a boardwalk along the lake and some decent bistro dining...
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM

The Bruce Trail club (www.brucetrail.org), in addition to outings outside the city, offers urban hikes which qualify as off the beaten path. If you note the dates you'll be here, I can list any urban hikes planned for those dates.

Hikes in the city are free and everyone is welcome. Non-members are also welcome on out-of-town hikes for $16 or $19 depending on distance travelled - the club uses school buses for transport.

Hikes are also usually listed in NOW magazine in the Daily Events section which is free almost everywhere each Thursday or online at www.nowtoronto.com.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:17 AM
hdm

I've never been to either (bad, bad environmentalist!) but the Leslie Street Spit and the Scarborough Bluffs may be good photo ops.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM

We took the ferry over to one end of the Toronto islands a few weeks ago and walked to the other end of the island. The view back to the city was amazing. Hadn't done that in years and really enjoyed it. It really felt as though we were somewhere other than Toronto!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM

I was in Toronto a couple weeks ago and was able to get some nice photos, which you can see here: http://tinyurl.com/2aw792

The Toronto Islands offers nice views of the city.

Kensington Market was wonderful (although I didn't take photos).

High Park has lots of opportunities (although I didn't spend enough time there to see a lot of them).
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Another area that is kind of unique is the Distillery District - old buildings, interesting.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM
hdm

If you do go to the Distillery District, make sure you go to Sandra Ainsley's Glass Gallery.

Also, fairly near the DD is a new Asian supermarket called T&T Market (on Cherry Street). It's really worth a browse around -- it's a fabulous market and they also have a great selection of ready made food which you can either take out or eat there. You can get quite a wonderful, not too expensive meal there.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Amy

I enjoyed just walking around Toronto; I was there for five days, and included a day in Niagara.

Some of the places I visited that I enjoyed photographing include the Quay, the Music Garden, Black Creek Pioneer Village, Toronto Island, and the fort.

My pix are here: http://community.webshots.com/user/missalg if you'd like a peek! I really, really enjoyed Toronto.