Day Trips to Toronto

Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Day Trips to Toronto

I'd like to do some day trips into Toronto to visit neighbourhoods I have not seen. What areas are interesting and fun to visit? I think I'd like to visit the Danforth, Kensington Market and Chinatown, perhaps Avenue Rd north of Lawrence.

What other areas could I visit?

Also what museums /galleries are interesting besides the AGO and ROM?
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM

Hi, Kodi,

You can start @ Harbourfront and work your way north.

I love the Harbourfront area....stroll around, have a cone and/or fries, bring your bike & ride all along the lakeshore,
take the ferry over to the islands, have a picnic, take some great photos looking across the lake @ downtown Toronto.
And, at the end of the day, have dinner @ The Pearl (used to be The PinK Pearl) @ Queen's Quay.

You can take the GO from Burlington/Oakville....is that what you were planning?

Is Murphy going with you?

Ocean
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas, Ocean . I haven't been to the islands for years . Or to the Harbourfront area.

I'll drive in . It's quicker than the GO train .

Murphy now has a little sister named Dolly . So he will stay home with her .
Apr 4th, 2011, 05:09 AM
BAK

West end circle.

Drive to Bloor and Jane are, and circle around teh Old Mill and check out the park beside it,alongthe banks of the Humber River.

Then back to the top of the river valley, and find a parking lot good for a few hours.

Walk east along Bloor from the Jane Subway past the Runnymede Station, and past the High Park Station.

Walk south through High Park and catch the eastbound streetcar.

Pick a window seat, and ride to University Aenue and queen. Switch to subweay north to St. George, and take westbound Bloor-Danforth subway back to Jane Station. Find your car.

BAK
Apr 4th, 2011, 06:55 AM

One of the COOLEST things ever is the Beaches International Jazz Festival in July... www.beachesjazz.com ... not only a great way to enjoy the Beaches neighborhood in east Toronto, but full of music and charm... its crowded, but amazing!
Apr 4th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Welcome, Dolly! That's great news, Kodi! A Westie? How old?
Pictures?
Apr 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you BAK and Gary. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Ocean, Yes a Westie, from a puppy mill. She's 3 years old and is a delightful little pup. She's having fun exploring this big world. Everything is new to her.I'll see if I can change my profile picture.
Apr 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Ok Ocean, the profile picture is changed. You can see that Dolly is tiny like Kodi was.
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM
BAK

If you need to take a dog to a dog park... http://briankilgore.com/R-DOG4.htm

This is in Oakville. The Dalmatian is mine.
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Bak, I really enjoyed these photos. They are all so darn cute. Andie is adorable.

Is Post Park at Shell Park? Do you do pet portraits? We'll have to talk.
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Oh, Kodi....Dolly is adorable. She & Murphy are so cute together. Thanks for the picture!

When did you go to Croatia? It's on my list.....soon, I hope.
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

I was there about a year ago. Put it on the top of your list. IT's stunning. More than you can imagine.
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM

Hi kodi,
I hope you're well.

I've never been but I hear the Textile Museum is supposed to be great. It's very central -- around Dundas and University. Also, have you ever been to the Bata Shoe Museum at Bloor and St. George? It's fun too.

Here are the links:
www.batashoemuseum.ca
www.textilemuseum.ca

kodi, do you ever hear from LJ? And what about moolyn? I haven't seen her posting for a long time.
Apr 6th, 2011, 08:17 PM

I guess you know that the Danforth starts at Broadview; then walk along till you get to Pape or Donlands (there's a coffee shop I like called The One in the One and Only near Donlands) - lots of restaurants - not just Greek.

Kensington Market has great people watching, offbeat stores, several coffee shops, Wanda's for lunch with great pies for dessert http://www.wandaspieinthesky.com/ - there's a patio in good weather. Blue Banana is worth a wander through, too. It has a coffee bar. http://www.bluebananamarket.com/

Chinatown - you could ride the streetcar, get off at Dundas and a block west is Kensington Ave for the market.

Avenue Road north of Lawrence....hummm, why? I'd go to Bayview between Davisville and Eglinton in Leaside before Avenue Road. How about Roncesvalles Village? Have you been to Bloor West Village? Leslieville on Queen East?
Apr 6th, 2011, 08:58 PM

bookmarking
Apr 6th, 2011, 08:58 PM

bookmarking
Apr 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Goddess, so good to see you . I haven't been to either museum but they both look good

Morning? Good to see you too and thanks so much for the great ideas .
Our day trips really will be like a little holiday.

Goddess I sent you a long email. I don't know if you received it.
Yes I'm in touch with moolyn and LJ
Please write to me let me know here if you dont have my address.
Apr 7th, 2011, 04:43 AM

Hi kodi - here's a link to an article in the Star today - I've been to a few of these coffee places - one is in Kensington, one on Spadina. http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...r-perfect-cafe

There's lots more independent coffee bars - a favourite in Leslieville is Tango Palace...although my diet falls by the wayside when I see all the treats...http://www.blogto.com/cafes/tangopalace. There are others.

Another area you might want to visit is the Junction. With summer coming you could watch the papers for the festivals these different neighbourhoods hold starting late May till September.
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM

kodi, no I didn't receive your email. If you sent it to my UofT address, I wouldn't get it because I'm no longer there. I don't post my email address here -- how can I reach you.

Morningglory, I thought of you this morning because a friend and I went to a cute indie coffee shop on Eglinton near Spadina Road. I think it was called the Mad Bean. Cute.
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:34 AM

Little Italy!! Momma Mia!!!

Thanks for the post Kodi! Funny I was thinking the same thing. Need a fun Toronto weekend.
Best,
Cathy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO