4 nights in Toronto- Top Picks?

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 nights in Toronto- Top Picks?

My fiance and I are staying at the Intercontinental in downtown Toronto over Thanksgiving (11/22 to 11/26). Our first time. What are the must-see attractions/activities? We're not big shoppers but we do like food and fun, and love nature (I know the options are limited in a big city but thought I'd throw that in). A zoo would be good too!
Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks!
PS: Just to confirm: We don't need passports, do we, traveling from the US?
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:39 PM
BAK

The Intercontinental Hotel chain is run by idiots.

In Toronto, there are two Intercontinental hotels. the one that is actuallyu downtown is called "Center" and the one in mid-town just clls itself Intercontinental, as if people could sort that out. Except some people call it "downtown"

So, isyour hotel on Front Street, which actually is downtown and is called Center, or on Bloor Street, whoich is not downtown, but often referred to as such?

Got that?

And, it doesn't matter, except for you to decide what's close to the hotel.

From Front Street,you are close to Lake Ontario, and if you go to Spadina and Queens Quay, you are in a little genuine Ontario marsh, reconstructed along the shorline within sight of highrises and marinas.

From Bloor Street, get on a west bound subway train, get at jane Street, walk back towartd the city (walk east) along Bloor Street West in the Bloor West Village neighborhood, and pick up some sandwices at a deli alogn the way. Keep walking east past the stores, until you reach High Park.

Walk south through High Park, mostly downhill, and you'll end up on The Queensway. Get on an east bound streetcar there and take it to some downtown stop.
If your feet don't hurt yet, make Spadina that stop, get off, and walk north from Queen and Spadina up Spadina through Chinatown, to Bloor Street. Turn right, walk to the hotel.

If your feet do hurt,you can just transfer to a northbound Spadina Streetcar.

The zoo is too far away, unless you really love animals.

BAK

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM

The Toronto Zoo is fab, and REALLY big (It was designed with animals in mind, not tired human feet).
Just exploring the neighborhoods and their restaurants is a joy in T.O. - the younger, hipper Queen West, W Queen West and Annex areas are 3 of my faves, as are Chinatown, Little Italy, the Danforth and the Village.
You don't need a passport, but taking one makes things so much easier and faster.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Hello capistrano:
The city of Toronto, has a very intricate ravine system, most of us live and work on top of our city but for those who enjoy getting away from it all there is this wonderful oasis away from the city noise. One minute you are on top of the city street with the pollution and noise and within a few minutes you are down in the ravine and you can't believe that you are in the city. It's great if you love nature.
Look here for more information:

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/parks/...over_index.htm
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 09:06 AM

It is advisable to bring a passport to ensure smooth sailing into Canada and more importantly, hassle free return to the US.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Head out to the "Mod Club" at Revival (a bar in a converted church) on Saturday night. Located on College Street West, in Little Italy. Start with dinner in this neighbourhood, then get to Mod Club fairly early (it gets crowded) - by 10-10:30. Dance til late, and then continue on to El Convento Rico (also on College St, a little further west I think) for some Latin dancing. This club started as a safe haven for gay, lesbian and transgendered Latinos, but has evolved into a very diverse nightclub that welcomes everyone - great dancing, lots of fun, very friendly.

Head for the Beaches (Queen Streetcar, Eastbound) on Saturday or Sunday for brunch and a walk along the boardwalk by the lake.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 05:22 PM

I would suggest taking a ferry over to Ward's Island, wandering around the small community there, then having brunch, lunch or dinner at the Rectory Cafe [a google search should turn up their website]. Then walk from Ward's over to Centre Island or Hanlan's Point and take another ferry back to the City. Great views of the city from the ferry and a breath of fresh air on the Island.

Have a great trip,
Kate
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:58 AM
mtjt

You will need proof of citizenship - a passport is best, you might get away with a birth certificate plus photo I.D. Check with a travel agent.

The Toronto Zoo is world class. It is out on the northeast edge of the suburbs - are you renting a car? I'm also a nature lover, although late fall is kind of the "grey" season. The zoo is adjacent to the Rouge Valley, a popular natural area with trails. If you're birdwatchers, Tom Thompson Park (also called Leslie Street Spit) is one of the best "in-city" spots - on the waterfront between downtown and the beaches (east of downtown).

Fun and/or interesting spots in or near downtown include:
- Chinatown, one of North America's largest - Dundas and Spadina area. Always lively.
- Greektown - Much of the movie ".... Greek Wedding" was filmed here. Lots of restaurants and bistros (and sidewalk cafes in the warmer season). Particularly lively Saturday nights. On Danforth which is an eastern continuation of Bloor Street, just across the Don Valley Parkway.
- Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is quite excellent, particularly their geology display. Also lots of nature and cultural displays.
- Harbourfront along the lakeshore south of downtown is pleasant. Shops and several restaurants. Although is best in the warmer seasons when the outdoor patios and markets are open.
- The view from the CN tower on a clear day is spectacular.

Just FYI (you may already know this, or it may not matter) - Canada celebrates Thanksgiving on different dates than the U.S. - ours is in October.

Cheers!

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:02 AM

If you are staying at the Intercontinental on Bloor Street, then you must have dinner at the Host, an Indian restaurant a block or two from the hotel. Best Indian meal we ever ate, and we are fans of Indian food.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:26 PM

For food, the best restaurant is Scaramouche. It is quiet and elegant with a nice view of the city. For fun and good food, try Mildred Pierce. Best to take a taxi there. For loud fun and good food, try Brasserie Aix. That is also a great area to walk around in. I also agree that Host is a very good Indian restaurant. Stay away from Mortons (in the same area).
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:54 AM

We just came back from Toronto. A great (and cheap) in our opion place to eat is any branch of the Pickle Barrel. It's maybe not the most exciting menu, but the 'killer' milkshakes are divine and there's a great low carb menu if you are that way inclined! There a few dotted around the area.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:57 AM

Oh and we found the TTC (the underground and streetcars) a great way to get around. You can get 10 tickets for $19CAN, a day pass for $7.75CAN or just pay perjourney $2.25CAN
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Susur is a fantastic restaurant on King St. West abit pricey, but you could also try Lee, the new cheaper version of Susur next door!...Biryani House for Indian food (opp Wellesley Subway Station, the Pantheon on the Danforth, Lee Garden for Chinese (on Spadina in Chinatown)...
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 01:19 PM

One the subject of restaurants, if it was my honeymoon, I'd pick a theme such as French, English/Irish Pub, Asian or Indian Restaurants and search for the best options.

A few search resources are:
Toronto.com - www.toronto.com
Toronto Life Magazine http://www.torontolife.com/index2.cfm

Now! Magazine
http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/current/

My favourite downtown restaurant is Spinello (Italian) at 53 Colborne.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 04:38 AM

BAK
Aside from how you feel about the mgmt at Intercontinental, how do you
rate the property on Front Street? Decent place to stay or not at all??
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:03 AM
BAK

I'm not even all that annoyed at most management --just the idiots who mislabeled the hotels.

The Front street Intercontinental has undergone a major erenovation when it converted from a Crowne Plaza, so everything is new.

I have not been in the rooms, but the public spaces are very nice.

It's adjacent to the convention center so it is popular with convention delegates, but I've never found that to be a problem, to the limited extent of my interaction.

Thelocation is very good. Close to Mr. Horvath's french fry truck (see www.BrianKilgore.com and click ont he travel section, sometime after three this afternoon to see the truck), close to good, very good, and excellent restautants, near two live theatres, supper clubs, comedy clubs, more.

All in all, and excellent place to stay, but so is the other Intercontinental, near Bloor and Avenue Road. That one has no convention centre, no live theatres but fancier shopping and even more restauraants that are really expensive.

But if you have plans for the Front Street Intecontinental, just keep them and stay there.
BAK
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:22 AM

We will be in Toronto that weekend too!
One thing I am looking forward to is the Gourmet Food and Wine Expo. You might want to check out the website:

http://www.foodandwineshow.ca/mediainfo/press.shtml

We live in Michigan, so we cross the border to Canada all the time. They ask you were you were born. If it is the U.S., then your driver's license should be sufficient. To be on the safe side bring your birth certificate.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Sorry for the typo, "where" you were born!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 12:21 PM

The wine show is a great way to discover the world of wine and sample some of Toronto's restaurants.

See if you can find an Australian Verdelho by Chestnut Grove - a yummy white served as house wine in many restaurants in Sydney Australia.

There are two large wine stores in Toronto run by the LCBO (http://www.lcbo.com/) specializing in vintage wines = both are accessible by subway.

1 - 10 SCRIVENER SQUARE, Yonge & Summerhill (in old railway station)
Subway Line: Yonge, Station: Summerhill)

1 - 2901 BAYVIEW AVENUE - Bayview Village shopping centre.
Subway line - Sheppard. Stop: Bayview

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 07:18 PM

On Saturday morning check out the St. Lawrence Market.

The Royal Ontario Museum is very nice. Definitely worth a visit.

Walk around Chinatown.

My favorite part of Toronto is walking down the side streets. The main street in Little Italy (College St. I think) no longer seems very Italian (although there is a very good restaurant who's name escapes me). But I love to walk along the streets in that area and pass the brick homes with the statues of the Virgin Mary in the windows, etc.

Toronto is a BIG theater town, too. Just something to think about.

Have fun!

P.S. You don't need a passport, but bring it if you have one. Otherwise, you absolutely need to have an original birth certificate (with raised seal) and photo I.D. - driver's license.