Toronto neighborhood after dinner?

Aug 27th, 2001, 05:03 AM
bill

Toronto neighborhood after dinner?

Can anyone recommend a fun, busy neighborhood in Toronto to walk around after dinner? Or, just an active place to spend an evening for dinner and strolling? I'm already aware of the Danforth area.

Aug 27th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Mike

A couple of others to try: Queen Street West or Little Italy along College - both offer lots of restaurants, night life, stores, clubs, cafes, people about, etc.

Aug 27th, 2001, 08:03 AM
garyt

bill- I just came back from TO on Saturday and would agree with Mike on the Queen St, St John,Aidelade St W. area... but be warned... most of the traffic is the "under 25" crowd fighting for club entry, and outdoor cafe dining... Most of the 25+ crowd hangs out in Yorkville, where you will find similar outside dining and a more money crowd...take your pick and have fun.

Aug 27th, 2001, 12:34 PM
bill

Thanks for the feedback (we're the 30-35 crowd). 2 follow-up questions:
--where is the heart of Little Italy and is it a street car, walking, taxi, etc. destination
--in Yorkville, where is the most active part? And what is "The Annex" neighborhood?

Aug 27th, 2001, 02:45 PM
elizabeth

Hi Bill - the Beach is also fun to wander around (take the Queen St Streetcar Eastbound).

In Yorkville the most active part is Yorkville and Cumberland Streets between Avenue Road and Bay Street. Also one block south of Cumberland is Bloor Street - lots of shopping between Avenue Road and Yonge (possibly window shopping after dinner, though).

I *think* the heart of Little Italy is Clinton and College - there's a bus or streetcar that runs east/west on College or if you're an ambitious walker it's do-able from downtown.

Aug 28th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Mike

Hi Bill, Yorkville is a good suggestion.

You can get to Little Italy on the subway and College streetcars. From downtown, you take the subway (make sure you each get a transfer at the original subway station), and go to College Station, or Queen's Park Station (whichever's closer to you). Then simply leave the station (both are on College, and take the street car West along College to Clinton St. or thereabouts - you can ask the streetcar driver to let you know when your stop is. I wouldn't try and walk it - it's a hike from downtown, and if you want to walk around the area once you're there, you don't want to be tired with sore feet!

Yorkville's just northwest of Bloor and Yonge. The closest station is Yorkville.

The Annex is a residential neighbourhood around Bloor and Bathurst. There are some restaurants/clubs along Bloor in that area, but nothing like Queen St. West, Yorville or Little Italy.

If you're interested, there's a good map of Toronto's neighbourhoods at:
www.city.toronto.on.ca/pdf/hoods.pdf

Have fun,

Mike

Aug 28th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Brian Kilgore

There's no subway station I have ever heard of called Yorkville. to get to Yorkville by subway, go to the Bloor station at Bloor and Yonge, and walk west, or go to the Museum station and walk north and east (a blcok) or go to the Bay station and walk up to the surface. the Bay station is on the Bloor - Danforth line,a nd it is easier to get off at Bloor Station or Museum Station and just walk.

My office is in the Queen West neighborhood, and I've been on the streets everynight for the past week. The neighborhood is packed; there are many ages. Before 10, you can visit chapters book store and grab a coffee at Starbucks; after 10 there are clubs, bars, restaurants of all types for all poeple (Hooters is across the street from Avalon, one of the most expensive and finest restaurants in town.)

But if I were you, I'd go to Yorkville.

BAK

Aug 29th, 2001, 06:42 AM
garyt

bill and Brian K- Ate at Avalon on Saturday and was somewhat disappointed, the experience was nowhere near as perfect as North 44...that's FYI only

Aug 29th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Mike

Brian's right, I meant Bay station.

Mike