Jasper/Lake Louise & Area Lodging

Aug 24th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Nanci

Jasper/Lake Louise & Area Lodging

Planning to spend a week in the Jasper/Banff/Lake Louise area in mid Sept. Looking for suggestions on lodging. Heard Banff is a little touristy that we are better in surrounding areas. Thought the Chateau in LL looked beautiful for 1 or 2 nights...is it worth it? What about in Jasper? What other places are good to stay at? Other towns? We are planning mid Sept. Any suggestions would be great!

Aug 26th, 2001, 08:31 AM
richard

Hi Nanci; As far as where to stay, it really depends on how much you are willing to spend. If you are from the U.S. then you already have a 40% advantage based on the dollar. Yes, Banff is touristy but still nice. If dollars were not an issue, I would stay at the Banff Springs or Rimrock.In Jasper, the Jasper Park Lodge is nice. Let me know what the budget constraints are and I can help more.

Aug 26th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Nanci

Richard, Thanks for the reply. Would like to keep lodging under $200/night. Looked on line at the Georgetown Inn & Rundlestone Lodge. Are you familiar with either one? Is the Cheteau in Lake Louise worth the price? Where would you recommend in Lake Louise? Thanks for the help!

Aug 27th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Bob Brown

I agree with the above comments. It does depend on your budget. I find Lake Louise to be expensive for what you get, so I stay over the line in British Columbia. Jasper has several good places for overnight accommodations.
I like Jasper House Bungalows which are on the banks of the Athabasca river.
But Jasper also has quite a number of private homes that rent rooms and small apartments to tourists. You can see advertisements for some of them by going to the Jasper website and following the links to accommodations.

Banff is touristy, but if you are a tourist, what else is there??

Aug 28th, 2001, 12:01 AM
Rita

Nanci, regarding the Chateau Lake Louise I would have to say "no, I don't think it is worth it". However that said I have not stayed there since Fairmont took over managing it last year. I have stayed at other "CP Hotels" since Fairmont took over and have found them to be wonderful so perhaps their management style has changed the Chateau.

The Chateau is in a beautiful location but you pay dearly for it. You would want a room overlooking the lake and Angel Glacier and I am not sure that you could get one of those for $200. The lobby and public areas are in my opinion the nicest part of the hotel. Very grand and beautiful but with all this grandeur you have to put up with many tourists (who are not staying at the hotel) wandering around checking it out. It makes for train station ambience. The rooms at the Chateau are nothing to write home about. I call the look "Heidi goes to Lake Louise" with lots of flower decals and numerous patterns (I think the last room I stayed in had well over eight differing floral patterns). In addition, I've stayed in a Tower junior suite and found the sound proofing to be inadequeate. Finally the food, very mediocre (that may have changed with the Fairmont management) and quite institutional like.

So I guess what I am saying is, in my opion I don't feel the Chateau rates the prices it charges. My advice for Lake Louise would be to either stay at the Post Hotel or at Deer Lodge (but make sure you get a rennovated tower room an DL) both have a small lodge ambience and have excellent food and wine lists.

As for lodging in the other areas -- it depends on what you're looking for. If you are looking for an escape with little civilization then I would recommend Emerald Lake Lodge outside of Field BC (a 1/2 hour drive from Lake Louise). In Banff, the Banff Springs is very nice (same hotel chain as the Chateau) but for a more intimate experience try Buffalo Mountain Lodge or something up on Tunnel Mountain (that way you are in Banff but away from the hustle of the town centre).

Good Luck with your choices.

Aug 30th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Nanci

Thanks for the help! I can't wait to go! We are staying at Emerald Lake Lodge, Pyramid Lake Resort and Buffalo Mountain. Hope we made the right choices and planning on a great trip!