toronto itinerary help

Jul 27th, 2004, 10:20 AM
css
Original Poster

toronto itinerary help

Flying into Toronto on a Friday in August with 2 teens (13-boy & 15-girl) and heading to Niagara.Sightseeing in Niagara Fri. afternoon and Sat morning. Driving back to Toronto Sat, have tickets to Hairspray that night. Question about Sunday & Monday . One day we'd like to do Toronto sightseeing (CN tower, hockey museum,) and shop (Queens St west? Bloor St?),and eat dinner/hang out on College St. The other day we'd spend at Paramount Wonderland. Thoughts on which day would be best for which? Thanks!
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:37 AM
BAK

I started off wirting, "Not that easy to answer."

But I've changed my mind.

Wonderland Monday, and the lines will probably be shorter than Sunday.

Toronto Sunday, where most stores are open, and chances are there will be street festivals and special events, and outdoor concerts, and more. Plus on Sunday the Royal Ontario Museum and the ARt Gallery of Ontario are open. ROM has dinosaur exhibitsd that a lot of kids really like.

Are you sure yhou want to fly from somewhere and then spend the day standing in lines to ride on roller coasters? African Lion Safari, Toronto Zoo, more sightseeing in Toronto, etc., are options.

For kids, the Queen Street West shoopping area beats Bloor Street, unless you're rich and the kids dress in the very, very best. Eaton Center indoor three-storey mall has some US chains, (Old Navy, Gap, etc.) and lots of Canadian stores, including a Roots store, and is very popular with teenage tourists -- parents seem happy enough there too. (My wife was there last week with borrowed teens, boys 12 and 15, plus our 9 year old)

SkyDome tour is a good thing, and lots of kids like a harbour tour, too.

BAK

Jul 27th, 2004, 03:44 PM
css
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Will tour Sun and see if I can convince them to tour more on Mon instead of Wonderland. If we live in a big city will the shops in Eaton center be the same as we have here?
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:55 PM

BAK's post was pretty clear if you read it carefully.
If you live in a big American or Canadian city then yes, many of the shops will be the same. There are lots of chains in Eaton Centre - Zara, Espirit, old Navy, Gap, Club Monaco, etc. Some are unique to Canada, most are not.
Bloor Street is higher end labels like Chanel, Prada, Cartier, etc but also has some more affordable things like Zara and French Connection.
Queen Street West has funkier, more unique shops.
Jul 27th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Just got back from Wonderland. Went to the park July 26 - Monday. Was with 2 girls 9 and 10 yrs old. We got there at 10:20. park opens at 10:00. Still got a good parking spot close to the gate. Parking cost $7.50. Headed to the waterpark which doesn't open until 11:00. Stopped to ride Mighty Canadian Minebuster. Waited about 10 min. Got to waterpark just as it opened. Kids walked on every ride without a wait, including Black Hole, Wipeout, Body Blast, Riptide Racer etc. Mom and Dad headed for the lounge chairs and scored 2 good ones. Lots left at that time. Mom went to the car at 12:30 to get cooler. Had lunch in water park. left at 1:00 to go on rides. By then there were lines at water park attractions and few chairs left. Change room was busy. Went on Spongebob 3D in Action FX theatre. It was a riot - and I hate rides. Wait was about 15 - 20 min. Headed to Thunder Run - waited 30 min. Went on The Fly - waited 20 -30 min. Proceded to The Rage - no wait, and kids liked it. Went on a couple of times. Went on Drop Zone - waited about 15 min. Headed over to Tomb Raider but it was closed for repairs - looked fun though. Went on Carosel as it is a tradition. Went back to Minebuster and waited 45- 60 min. By this time it was 6:30 and everyone was exhausted from walking. Went to hotel, had dinner and flaked out. My impression was the lines were not overly long although the kids do not go on the big "thrill rides" like Top Gun and Cliffhanger. The wonderland website www.canadaswonderland.com suggests that weekdays are less busy than weekends.
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Fun sightseeing and just plain fun are slightly different. African Lion Safari (out of town isn't it?) and the zoo are good places but I'd opt for Wonderland for your teens with its rides and waterpark even if you live in a large city as long as they like fun.

You can also go in and out of Wonderland (not sure about parking)if you should want restaurant options. You can also take and eat your lunch on site which you couldn't before.

If you do water things (including rides that have water sprays) take change of clothes and sweater since it can be very, very cold in wet clothes unless it's an very hot day.
On Friday last it started out warm then turned cold and windy. People were cold.

Buy tickets online (Wonderland site) if you can for a saving. Blockbuster Video Stores and others (see Wonderland website) also have them on sale for about a $10 pp saving from gate purchase. Check to see if the on-line tickets are for a specific date.

Yes, Queen Street. Bloor is upscale. Whatever you do have fun.

Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:43 PM

I would definitely pick Wonderland for teens. I think the zoo and the Lion Safari are more for younger kids.