BAK and other Torontonians - a few ????

Jul 30th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

BAK and other Torontonians - a few ????

I'm doing a day trip on Sunday from Buffalo. I've visited Toronto many times, but usually for a weekend and return home on Sunday mornings. Or, we do a day trip to see a play...but always drive home on Sunday. This weekend I will be taking my "visiting from out of town nephew" to Toronto on Sunday just for the day and I have a few questions......

Chinatown.....will the street vendors be open?

Kensington Market......worth it on Sunday (as long as we're in Chinatown)?

Greek neighborhood worth a visit - that's one neighborhood I haven't visited.

Beaches neighborhood....I've never been. Where can we park and is it worth walking around on a Sunday. Are stores and restaurants open?

Hockey Hall of Fame...is it open on Sunday?

Thank you!
Jul 30th, 2004, 05:20 PM

HI Buffalo girl, boy I wish I could help you more, but i'm not really positive about my answers. But I think most places will be open and will be worthwhile.
I was in the beaches this morning on businesss, and was wishing I could have taken the time to wander. You can park on any of the side streets off Queen Street. We parked on Waverley today, or drive down waverley and park on Kew Beach Ave. Then you could also enjoy a walk along the boardwalk, then walk back up to Queen Street to the shops. Just be sure to read the parking signs. They can be a bit confusing. We saw one today that I'd never seen before. It said no parking for hot dog wagons. Or so I gathered from the picture on the sign!

I think Greektown would definately be worth a visit. From waht I understand the best area is east and west of Pape Ave on the Danforth.
Enjoy you visit.
Jul 30th, 2004, 05:48 PM

We live just west of the beaches and south of the Danforth, so familiar with both those areas. We often park on one of the side streets, usually off Kingston Road, and then walk down to Queen Street, but there's also parking (a big lot) if you drive along Lakeshore towards Woodbine.

I really like the Danforth (although we don't usually call it Greektown). Again, there's lots of parking, usually in parking lots. Lots of restaurants and shops along the Danforth and it's very lively. Next weekend, it's Taste of the Danforth so will be very busy - I think they get a million people out on that weekend.

Enjoy the city!
Jul 30th, 2004, 06:06 PM
BAK

Sunday like two days from now? It's Caribana weekend, and lots of downtown will be jammed, but your spots are probably OK.

Chinatown stores are open on Sunday; I was there last weekend. And on Sunday the streets are closed to cars in Kensingon Market, so it is well worth a visit.

Greektown is a funny word; it's on the signs and in the tourist literature, but it's still The Danforth to us. Lots of restaurants, but not a lot of interesting stores. I'd go there for a meal, but not to hang out.

Queen Sttreet West from University to Spadian, north on Spadina to Chinatown and Kensington, is a good bet. Danforth for supper if you want Greek food. otherwise stay more downtown.

Hockey Hall of Fame, I would expect, will be open.

Beaches is a nice area; I used to sort of live there. Most stores and restaurants will be open there, too. There's a wide variety of restaurants, whereas Greektown is mostly Greek.

Canda Customs agents are acting up, so allow extra time at the border.

BAK
Jul 30th, 2004, 07:11 PM

The Hockey Hall of Fame opens at 10am on Sunday.

Jerry
Jul 31st, 2004, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Yikes - I didn't realize it was Caribana weekend! Does that take place mostly downtown?

Oh, and one more question.....is the St. Lawrence market open on Sunday?

Thanks again...I can't wait to introduce my nephew to Toronto!!!
Jul 31st, 2004, 05:17 AM
BAK

St. Lawrence market; no, the food part in the south building is not open, and there are no farmers in thenorth building as there are on Saturdays.

On Sundays there's some sort of antiques / flea market sale in the north building. And the Distillery Disrict, a few blocks west, at Front and Parliament, has shops, galleries, and restaurants in themidst of an old heritage district.
Jul 31st, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

One more question, please.........

My nephew and son want to vist the Hockey Hall of Fame, but I don't. Thought I'd park the car and they can visit HHOF, and I would take in a few of the shops along Younge Street. Are the stores along Younge open on Sunday?
Jul 31st, 2004, 10:11 AM
BAK

Sunday parking fees underneath the giant office towers are pretty much a bargain, so check the signs and you'll save money.

The Hockey Hall of Fame is connected to a networjk of underground stores, and these will be closed. But walking up Yonge Street outdoors, you'll find some stores open (not great stores, by the way) until you come to The Bay, which is open, and immediately north of it, Eaton Center, which is open. And jujst north of EAton Centre, on Yonge north of Dundas, are HMV and Sams' two giant music stores. Recorded music is one fairly consistant bargain in Toronto compared to US prices.

BAK

Aug 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I just returned from a wonderful (but very tiring) whirlwind trip around Toronto with my nephew and son. With only one full day to spare, we did a lot of driving. I would have preferred to spend the entire weekend and used the subway, but couldn't work it out! Driving is a nightmare there!

I'm pretty sure I gave the boys quite a taste of Toronto, and I got to spend some time in neighborhoods I haven't been to previously. We had a great lunch on "The Danforth," walked around "The Beaches" - including the beach, and the boys loved the Hockey Hall of Fame. I passed on that and walked around a bit. I also took them to Chinatown (the boys were amazed by the ducks, pigs, and squid hanging in the restaurant windows, but it takes away my appetite immediately), the Kensington Market, downtown, and the area around the CN Tower, etc.

We decided to skip returning via the Peace Bridge because the traffic into Buffalo on a Sunday night can be awful, and instead returned via the Falls and walked around the American side. Believe me, we were exhausted when we arrived home.

Thanks for all your help!
Aug 1st, 2004, 06:36 PM

I'm glad to hear you had a good day. Wow, you did cover a lot of territory. NO wonder you are tired!!
I haven't been to Kensington Market for years, but remember the aweful smell and the animals and chickens hanging in the shops. I was sick to my stomach and have never been back! I'm glad you got to walk the beach at the Beaches and got to have lunch on the Danforth.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:51 AM
PLJ

Hi BuffaloGirl, glad to hear that you had such a great time in T.O. I stand in awe of what you managed to accomplish in one day - well done! I wonder if you would be willing to share the name of the restaurant that you dined at for lunch. My husband and I live within walking distance of The Danforth. Just last night we were commenting on the fact that it had been far too long since we'd been out for Greek ...
Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Oh boy, PLJ, I'll have to think about it. If I look at a map, I'll probably remember the street we parked on. It was just around the corner. I'll also ask my nephew if he remembers.