Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario with a 4 year old and 11 month old - Suggestions for entertainment welcomed

Ontario with a 4 year old and 11 month old - Suggestions for entertainment welcomed

Mar 31st, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

We are going to Canada from Edinburgh in May 2004 for 3 weeks. We have booked 2 weeks in central Ontario in an all seasons resort which we plan to use as a base, as well as "top and tailing" our holiday with some time in Toronto.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things that the kids may like/enjoy. Also, any good hotels in Toronto which are kid friendly and affordable.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice
Mar 31st, 2004, 11:02 AM
BAK

Just looking quickly at a couple of maps, Central ongtario is about the size of Scotland, depending on how you defgine Central.

If you can be a bit more specific, so can we.

In Toronto, the Delta Chelsea is the most child-friendly of the downton Toronto hotels, with a big pool and water slide.

You are early for the tourist season, and some of the special attractions for children will not be open, or will be open only on weekends.

The four0year old will enjoy the big rock in Cimberland PArk on Cumberland Avenue, in the Yorkville expensive shopping district near Bloor and Avenue Road. A ride in the front car of a subway train will be fun, and besides, you'll need to take the subway anyway, probably. Just get in the front car.

A ride on the Toronto Island Ferry is inexpensive, fun for the whole family, and, depending on toming, perhaps Centreville, a good smallish amusement part for little kids, will be open.

The Ontario Science Center was a favorite or all my kids, even when they were only four years old.

You can enjoy a meal from trucks parked in front of Toronto City Hall. Hot dogs and french fries are good, inexpensive, and fun to eat outdoors.

A walk through Chinatown (there are several; walk up Spadina Avenue from Queen Street toward College Street) is an adventure for everyone, kids will enjoy it, and there are real bargains to be had as far as cheap toys go.

May in Central Ontario (however defined) is too cold for swimming in the lakes but on some days, there will be nice sunshine and flowers blooming, etc.

Ottawa is packed full of good stuff for children and their parents. (the little one doesn't care, of course) There's the Children's Museum inside the Museum of Civilazation in Hull (across the river from Ottawa). This is a great place for little kids, and you'll all learn about Canada by walking through other parts of the museum.

BAK

Mar 31st, 2004, 01:36 PM

In addition to what BAK has suggested, I would go to the zoo. You can get a zoomobile pass which allows you to ride around instead of walking - this is a very large zoo! They also rent strollers for baby. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Don Valley and got the zoo tickets free. Woodbine mall was also fun when the kids were small.
Mar 31st, 2004, 01:38 PM
BAK

Woodboine Mall, iof you happen to be anywhere near it (it's a long way from downtown, north of the airport0 has a great little amusement park inside the mall. Lots of great things for 4 year olds.

I forgot about this place.

BAK
Mar 31st, 2004, 05:22 PM
MD

Do they still have the waterpark /amusement area for kids (pedal powered water guns, etc.) in Ontario Place? What else is in Ontario place on the waterfront nowadays?

Also, Canada's Wonderland is just north of Toronto on the 400 highway. It's not as great as the real amusement parks ( ...) in the USA, and the kids will be too small for the really good rides like rollercoasters...

If you make it to Niagara Falls, one highlight I remember as a kid was the tunnels underneath/behind the falls. I assume they're still open.

There's the ride up to the top of the CN tower...

Apr 1st, 2004, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far.

With regard to Central Ontario location, I believe we are staying near Barrie, if that helps.

Apr 1st, 2004, 07:05 AM

You have had some great suggestions so far... here's another vote for the Toronto Islands, Ontario Place, and the zoo. My kids (aged 5 and 3) really like the Children's Museum in Ottawa too.

(BAK - fill me in on Cumberland Park; that's a new one to me... I can't picture where that would be.)

Barrie is a pleasant enough city - on a lake, within easy driving distance of Toronto. The scenery north of Barrie is spectacular - you're getting into the Muskoka Lakes region. Is this where you're staying? Which resort?

One thing worth looking into up there for the kids is Santa's Village in Gravenhurst.

Another place that comes to mind, but a bit further away, is Cullen Gardens; it's in Whitby, east of Toronto. They have a miniature village that your kids might enjoy.

If you make it to Niagara Falls, try not to miss the small town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, not so much for the kids, but for you. The Falls area is a bit tacky; NOTL is quaint and lovely.

Have a great trip!

Tania
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:00 AM
JMM

If you make it to Niagara Falls - take the kids to the Butterfly Conservatory - they will be enchanted when the butterflies land on them.