Toronto itinerary-comments?

Jun 11th, 2001, 07:13 AM
John

Toronto itinerary-comments?

I'm surprising my mom with a quick weekend trip from New Orleans to Toronto in August. I wish I could spend a week but we're limited to Thursday to Sunday. Would appreciate any comments (yea/nay) on what I have so far.
We're staying at Courtyard by Marriott on Yonge (courtesy of Priceline, so this is one that can't be changed). For our three nights, I have reservations for dinner at 360 (CN Tower) and then tickets to Mamma Mia and The Lion King. For daytime activities, I thought we'd drive down to Niagara Falls/NOTL one day and then explore the Toronto harbourfront/Eaton Center areas on the other day. Still looking for a good Asian restaurant near the theatres or the hotel.

Jun 11th, 2001, 09:43 AM
John

Busy-busy. The falls are about a 2.5 - 3 hour trip away from toronto on a good day (there has been a lot of construction on the QEW from Toronto to Niagara Falls lately). In the city, you can visit Queen Street West for some great shopping, people watching, food (American, bar and grill, Indian, Chinese etc), College Street (west of Bathurst) for a tasty of Italy - lots of cafes, resturants - The Danforth for great Greek food and more people watching. You can go to the ROM at University and Bloor for a trip to the museam and then head to Yorkville to star watch. (They come from Hollywood all the time to shot movies here in the city.) Like I said, busy-busy. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Jun 11th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Susan

Yes, it's busy, but I think it sounds pretty good. I'm so glad you got tickets to both Mamma Mia and Lion King - those are both wonderful shows. The theatres are right in the heart of the "entertainment district". Lots of clubs and bars (maybe not your mom's thing, depending on her age), but there's also many good restaurants in that area. I also think it's a good idea to see NOTL and the Falls - Niagara Falls, although tacky, is a huge tourist attraction. The Parkway, between the Falls and NOTL, is quite lovely. I agree with the previous reponse - Toronto has some very nice neighbourhoods. I don't know about 360 - it's not really the kind of restaurant that I would go to, but you should get a nice view of the city if it's a clear evening.

You could check out 2 sites for Asian restaurants - www.toronto.com and www.torontolife.com. They would have posted reviews of restaurants.

Have a wonderful trip!

Jun 11th, 2001, 12:52 PM
garyt

You might consider the rotating restaurant on top of the Westin Harbour Castle...Better food...same view

Jun 11th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Brian Kilgore

Are you planning to go to Niagara Falls, and Niagara on the Lake, and then come back to Toronto in time to go to the theatre?

That will be very, very tight.

In Niagara Falss, go on the Maid of the Mist boat tour. The other attractions are up to you.

360 is one of the best restaurants in Toronto. For high-end Asian food, try the Metropolitan Hotel, just behind Toronto City Hall. It's half way from your hotel to the theatres.
BAK

Jun 11th, 2001, 06:56 PM
John

Brian, I was indeed planning the day as you imagined. We'll probably get up early on Friday and head out to Niagara Falls and may skip NOTL and save it for another trip. Or maybe just a quick stop on the way back. There just isn't enough time, it seems! Thanks for the replies.

Jun 13th, 2001, 07:27 AM
garyt

Take the Niagara side trip but definitely plan for a NOTL late lunch. There are several wineries that serve lunch on the vineyards including Hildebrand, Strewn,and Cave Springs. In the Village, upscale includes Prince of Wales,the Oban Inn or the Queens Landing. Mid level and patio include the Shaw cafe and Buttery. Old english pub at the Angel Inn. There are at least 10 others of high quality. They also serve a formal afternoon tea at the Prince of Wales. Perfect for Mom.

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:44 AM
John

Thanks for the NOTL suggestions. "Mom" is in her 50s and is a lot of fun so anything I'd like, she'd like. Plus, she often visits me in New Orleans so I can subject her to just about any street in Toronto without her being shocked!

Can't wait to visit.

Jun 15th, 2001, 06:24 AM
vee

I agree with the above.... You'd be better off at the Westin. The food at 360, is not that great... you are really paying for the view. If you are looking to have cocktails somewhere, Pantorama is a wonderful location. Based on the 54th floor the view is incredible!!! Definitely go on the Maid of the Mist. The Toronto islands can also be a lot of fun... a very quick ferry ride across... good luck!!!

Jun 15th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Chris

If you are planning on going to the CN Tower, be sure to find out how long the expected wait is for going up. I don't know how it works if you have dinner reservations, or if they warned you or not, but when I went last year, it was a VERY LONG WAIT. They make you think it is only a few minutes, like 30 or so, but then when you get further in line, it is a different story. Again, I am only going on what happened to me in July. I did'nt have reservations for dinner.
I am headed there next Tuesday myself...I am going to have a blast!! I love it there, I am sure you will have a great time at any rate, but I agree about all the time restraints, just be patient and enjoy yourselves!

Jun 18th, 2001, 11:21 PM
Bonnie

Re: Dinner. There is an Asian restaurant that opened up just east of the parking lot at the Royal Alex (Mama Mia) Theatre. I'm sorry but I'm not sure of the name (King's Garden?). Friends went there and enjoyed it. Went to a great restaurant on King St. after the symphony (same area) that had a beautiful courtyard patio. It was next to Marcel's (same owners). Coming back from Niagara Falls stop at Jordan Station or one of the vineyards like Vineland Estates.

Jun 30th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Nettie

Skip the falls and go to NOTL, it's beautiful, try to go on a day when you are not going to the theatre, the Shaw Festival is there and you can go to a matinee there. The Falls are very touristy

Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:39 PM
Paul

I saw the earlier message about reservations at the CN tower and just thought I would relate this. My boss and his wife just returned from a weekend stay and had reservations for dinner at the 360. The wait in line would have been 1 1/2 long if not for the reservations. With reservations they where shown to a private elevator and up they went.

Myself, I will be taking the train to Toronto in mid-July for 3 nights(two baseball games) and staying on Ward's Island at a B&B(first time).

Aug 27th, 2001, 08:49 AM
John

Got home yesterday from our very nice but too short trip to Ontario. Once again I really enjoyed Toronto! What a great city.

We arrived on Thursday (nonstop Air Canada from New Orleans) and checked in to our hotel, the Courtyard by Marriott on Yonge. I thought the location was quite good, midway between Bloor and Eaton Centre. The recent renovation of the hotel was done very well, too. Had dinner on Thursday at CN Tower's 360 Restaurant. The food was very good and the service exceptional. Also, you can't beat the view.

Friday was spent at Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake and the Ontario wine country. We also snuck in an hour at the outlet center where I found a great leather jacket! That night, we returned to Toronto, had dinner at a Thai restaurant on King (can't recall the name--sorry) and saw The Lion King. It was excellent! Better than I imagined it would be. One thing I noticed was how casual theatre-goers were dressed...one woman had a TUBE TOP! (no kidding!)

On Saturday, general sightseeing and touring around downtown. At night, went to the Red Tomato on King (tasty!) for drinks/appetizers before seeing Mamma Mia! Three months ago the best seats I could buy were Upper Balcony. They were fine, though, and we really enjoyed the show.

Thanks for the comments and I hope to get back to Ontario soon!